Darktable

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone use this? I do but am not that good due to problems with mouse control (a problem with lots of programs) and colour blindness.

Does anyone use this? I do but am not that good due to problems with mouse control (a problem with lots of programs) and colour blindness.

Interesting that you ask now. DarkTable is in the news with a Windows version recently available. I'm not a heavy user, but I keep a copy installed and will occasionally use it for certain photos. It's an excellent raw file converter.

Joe

Interesting that you ask now. DarkTable is in the news with a Windows version recently available. I'm not a heavy user, but I keep a copy installed and will occasionally use it for certain photos. It's an excellent raw file converter.

Joe
I didn't know there was a windows version, I use it under Linux but this is quite interesting. The biggest problem with darktable is that people often say you could improve it by doing x in Lightroom which you have to translate to darktable

Joe
I didn't know there was a windows version, I use it under Linux but this is quite interesting. The biggest problem with darktable is that people often say you could improve it by doing x in Lightroom which you have to translate to darktable

The Windows version is very new and they're not even calling it a beta at this point, but it seems to work fairly well (some performance issues).

As for comparisons with LR: LR has the more accessible UI and commerical polish, but DarkTable has a richer & more extensive feature set. What you should experience is others asking, "How'd you do that? Can I do that in LR? LR can't do that can it?" For example how many years now have people been screaming for LR to offer HSL adjustments to locally masked regions? DarkTable provides that and a lot more.

Joe

The Windows version is very new and they're not even calling it a beta at this point, but it seems to work fairly well (some performance issues).

As for comparisons with LR: LR has the more accessible UI and commerical polish, but DarkTable has a richer & more extensive feature set. What you should experience is others asking, "How'd you do that? Can I do that in LR? LR can't do that can it?" For example how many years now have people been screaming for LR to offer HSL adjustments to locally masked regions? DarkTable provides that and a lot more.

Joe
That would require me to have a lot better fine motor control than I may ever and more darktable knowledge than I have now.
Also as I am colour blind I am not 100% sure I should do a lot of editing - I sometimes make things worse link a pink goose.
Saying that, it is an encouraging post thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back