Datacolor spyderlenscal

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I have a lens Cal on order. I mainly want to calibrate my Tamron 150-600 get with my Canon 80d. The lens was calibrated at Tamron maybe two years ago and I feel like it may be back focusing. I have a few questions (which may be answered in the products guide, but I'd like an understanding before I get it).

How far away should I calibrate the lens at both the closest and infinity?

Is there a certain aperture I shoot at? Since both the lenscal and camera are going to be on tripods I'm assuming shutter speed doesn't matter. I'll turn off VC on the lens as well.

Are there any other settings I need to worry about? Any tips? Thank you.

I will also be calibrating these Canon lenses. 50mm stm, 24mm stm, 55-250 stm, 18-55 stm. Will I do these in the same manner, same distance as the 150-600?

Last edited:
The 80D does have a microadjustment feature. It saves it for each lens. I want to check mine, haven't done it yet. There are a number of Youtube videos explaining it.

LONG lenses are typically used at longer ranges, like 10-60 meters...one of your focus micro-adjusts should be at 20-30 meters, IMO

Cool. Let us know what you think and how well it works.

Sorry, I should have looked up the lens cal before posting the first time. Thought it was something you linked to the PC. (Since you have the G2) I've been looking at the lensalign. Very similar design. I tried a method suggested by a fellow photographer with a yard stick on the Tamron 200-500mm. Didn't seem to help no matter what I did. Gave up and bought the tamron 150-600mm G1. It's very close, but not quite. I'd like better. And, use a more precise method.

I've Googled and Youtubed a ton. Most of it is for primes and done in a studio. I DO know that both should be on tripods and the lens should be at the widest aperture. Zoom lenses need to be tested at both the long and short ends. The 80D has the ability to save both.

What I DON'T know, is how far apart for each lens. Can't seem to find a definitive answer for that. Maybe contact lenscal? I'll try and contact lensalign. Others may be interested. I am.

I did myTammy 150-600 G2 using Reikan FoCal software, and the tap in console for the G2 lenses. Doing the calibration at 600mm was a roayl PITA.

Yeah? I have the tap in console as well. Thinking I'll use it for that particular lens. Why a pain?

Yeah? I have the tap in console as well. Thinking I'll use it for that particular lens. Why a pain?
Well the nice thing about the tap in console and the G2 glass is that you can calibrate it at 3 focal lenghts, (I think it was 200, 400 and 600). At 600 my target was so far away, and the software had some trouble calibrating it. Not something I would like to repeat, as I think I had to do it at 3 different distances as well. Infinity @ 600mm was difficult to say the least.

I use DotTune to calibrate focus of all my lenses and bodies. it's free and good Youboob instruction vids are available. They recommend 50x the focal length as the distance of camera to target.

My method: make your OWN focus calibration target with silver duct tape,a Sharpie pen,and 1/2 inch or 1/3 inch pen-marks, each inch being a "tall" mark, each incremental distance being a shorter mark. Tape the target to a building or fence,20-30 yards away,and shoot at a slight angle at the 4-foot long "ruler"...

Worked great. My 24 & 50mm needed adjustment as they both back focused. My 18-55 stm, 55-250 stm and 150-600 g2 were all good. Go figure, the kit lens was the best out of them all.

Most reactions

Back