Dead pixels?

bazooka

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtjournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking some shots tonight and upon looking at them at 100%, I noticed a white pixel on my black dog. Then upon further inspection, I noticed another. These shots are RAW btw. So I took a shot with the lens cap on and counted about 20 pixels across the shot that are either white, red, blue, or green. Is this normal or is this a serious problem with my sensor? Upon converting to a compressed format, they go away as expected.

The camera is a 40D that I purchased used.

I suppose I should have google'd it first. :D It appears to be normal. It just sucks that in every dark photo I do, I'm going to have to do lots of pixel fixing if I don't compress.

I was gonna ask the same question. Hopefully it is normal. I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago and noticed the same thing on mine. I took some pics tonight and noticed some red pixels in the pic. I was shooting in RAW and JPEG and had them in both the RAW and compressed. Here is what mine looked like. Kinda hard to see on here but oh well.
012-1-1.jpg

Take a RAW shot with your lens cap on and then view it at full size, I think you'll find that you have a lot more. Of course, now it's all I'm going to think about so on the other hand, maybe you shouldn't. :)

It also seems related to ISO as well... although most of my hot pixels stayed in place regardless of ISO, some faded so they weren't quite obvious.

Hmm I know dead pixels is a factor to consider when doing slow shutter speed nighttime photography (ie going into minute and longer exposures) but I thought that general darker shots (taken within more normal shutter speeds) would not be affected?

Of course if one does a lot of nighttime photography those dead pixels will come to affect the main shots as well.

Based on the couple of articles I read, it's normal for even the most expensive dslr's. However, I did only try to change the ISO.... the shutter speed for the shots was 1-2 seconds so perhaps a faster shutter speed would help. I shall continue experimentation. :)

Most reactions

Back