Dealing with a customer

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I had a preschool teacher call and ask me about taking pictures for her classes. When she called she said she knew I was just starting out (May) and said she thought I would like the extra business. Which, I wasn't wanting to go to that area of school pictures but I could always use a little extra money and advertisement.

They said they wanted several shots for each kid (a fun preschool pic with props, christmas, etc...) I told them I would e-mail them a couple pics of props and my price list that I would be using. Well, luckily I didn't get to my phone in time and they left a message, but she called saying my prices were to high and she wanted me to call back. Well she said my single prices were alright but my packages were to high, I hate packages! Which that sounds kinda weird considering packages are a way to get more prints at a cheaper price. Not sure what she means by all that then.

I guess my question is how do I deal with this customer when I call her back? I am not desperate enough to keep them by lowering my prices, considering I have to drag several backdrops and props along with lights and cameras two different days for barely 30 preschoolers.

I am so used to hearing that I am cheaper than my competition for senior portriats, which drives me insane and my prices are definitely changing next year!

I know this is a stupid question but I am not quite sure the best way to respond to her. I have learned that it is pretty much impossible to make everyone happy no matter how hard I try!

Thanks in advance!

Call her and tell her you appreciated the opportunity to give her a quote and maybe work with her. Unfortunately your prices are set to cover all your expenses and that you hope she finds the situation thats right for her.

i agree no way do you alter your prices

I disagree. Ask her a simple question :
"What is your budget"? She will have to answer you.
Then, simply tell her what that amount of money will buy.
Then the ball is in her court again.

I don't believe in being inflexable. If you have the date open, and nothing better going on, toss a bone and see if it's fetched. If not, you have tried, and she will remember that you tried to work with her.
Don't drop the price, mind you....just take away hours or services. Sometimes, they will suprise you and go full boat.
Good luck and Hugs,
Cindy

Most reactions

Back