Dealing with reflectors, no assistant, and wind

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by rufus5150, Mar 12, 2009.

1. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have to feed them, though. And they pee, and have these 'feelings' thingies. Such a liability.

Many also frown on the use of a cattle prod. Strange, but I'll go along with it.

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He passed on Feb2, 2005 at the young age of 51. He hit his peak in the mid-late 70s and then kinda faded away from the scene.

I do not think that outdoor scene is going to help much unless Rufus is shooting a really cute lady holding a huge horse, and he has a Hassalbald and 18 assistants... lol

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    :) You evidently didn't watch the whole thing. The bit I'm talking about is on the third set I think. Forth if the product photography bit is on the third.. It's been a while for me but it's there.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All 4 DVDs only about a thousand times! :lol:

5. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

A really good trick I have recently discovered, since I live in Boulder, CO which is always windy, and I've already had one flashl blow over and brake, is:

Go to an outdoor retailer, or maybe even the outdoor section at walmart/dick's/other sporting goods stores, and get a few medium sized nylon stuff sacks. They should only weigh about an ounce each, and scrunch up very small. Carry them with you, for a total of a few ounces and a a few inches of space. When you get somewhere, find something to fill them with (rocks, gravel, dirt, water bottles...) anything you can find that is heavy and will fit in the sack. Then hang them off of the lightstand twisty knobs or put them over the legs like sand bags. Presto. When you're done, put everything back where you found and and you're pleased as punch. I've ben able to keep a lightstand with an umbrella solid on a windy day, by carry 3 ounces of stuff with me. Tent pegs also sounds like a great idea. I'll remember that.