Dealing with reflectors, no assistant, and wind

You don't have to use a traditional reflector to reflect light effectively. Polystyrene would work but obviously that's light as well so might equally be effected by the wind. But you could nail that to a wooden frame or the top of an old table turned over to face your subject. Okay it's not very flexible either but I'm not in a creative mood today. I'll bet you or someone else here can come up with something better though.

My only other thought would be tent pegs. Wal-Mart has packages of round aluminum pegs with plastic hook ends which may work on your stand legs and, possibly, hook over the ribbed edge of your reflector (if it's low to the ground anyway).

This was my thought, but it obviously depends on the surface.

Red? Who's red?

I haven't yet. The shoot got moved datewise. Haven't decided which way to go, but I do have someone who's willing to get up early so I may have an assistant yet.

After I put together my background stand fully expanded by myself a few times, I realized that an assistant would be the best way to go.

LOL Sorry, rufus is a term for red to reddish-brown.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish on this outdoor shoot? And your available equipment list would be helpful.

Also, have you ever heard of a photographer named Dean Collins? He died a while back but if you know anyone who has access to his DVD there are a couple of very helpful sections on shooting outdoors.

This is the one.. http://www.deancollins.com/

I'm trying to take a minimal amount of gear due to the hike. There's a place we're trying to get a 'out of place' girl in a nice fancy dress in this extremely wooded gully. She'll be backlit and the reflector will have to do all of the fill.

Basically, beyond the camera, I'll have the hotshoe flash on an OC3 which I may or may not use and the 42" reflector.

I shall look this Dean Collins person up.

After I put together my background stand fully expanded by myself a few times, I realized that an assistant would be the best way to go.

Ah, yes... the voice operated light or relector stand method... my favorite. Moves on command without much interation needed by the photographer... lol.

You have to feed them, though. And they pee, and have these 'feelings' thingies. Such a liability.

Many also frown on the use of a cattle prod. Strange, but I'll go along with it.

He died a while back but if you know anyone who has access to his DVD there are a couple of very helpful sections on shooting outdoors.

He passed on Feb2, 2005 at the young age of 51. He hit his peak in the mid-late 70s and then kinda faded away from the scene.

I do not think that outdoor scene is going to help much unless Rufus is shooting a really cute lady holding a huge horse, and he has a Hassalbald and 18 assistants... lol

:) You evidently didn't watch the whole thing. The bit I'm talking about is on the third set I think. Forth if the product photography bit is on the third.. It's been a while for me but it's there.

A really good trick I have recently discovered, since I live in Boulder, CO which is always windy, and I've already had one flashl blow over and brake, is:

Go to an outdoor retailer, or maybe even the outdoor section at walmart/dick's/other sporting goods stores, and get a few medium sized nylon stuff sacks. They should only weigh about an ounce each, and scrunch up very small. Carry them with you, for a total of a few ounces and a a few inches of space. When you get somewhere, find something to fill them with (rocks, gravel, dirt, water bottles...) anything you can find that is heavy and will fit in the sack. Then hang them off of the lightstand twisty knobs or put them over the legs like sand bags. Presto. When you're done, put everything back where you found and and you're pleased as punch. I've ben able to keep a lightstand with an umbrella solid on a windy day, by carry 3 ounces of stuff with me. Tent pegs also sounds like a great idea. I'll remember that.

Most reactions

Back