"Death of Mini-Golf"

DadOf2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.deputyct.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are from a local defunct mini-golf center.

MiniGolf001.jpg

Nikon D40X
2007/12/29 15:57:12.6
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3872 x 2592)
Color
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Digital Vari-Program: Auto
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/4
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image:
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Auto Flash Comp:
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Auto
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off
VR Control: Off
High ISO NR: Off

MiniGolf002.jpg

MiniGolf003.jpg

MasonColorBW.jpg

He's using an improper putting grip, for shame.

But in all seriousness, these are interesting shots and the first one has some really nice color. But really, these shots just don't do it for me, good attempt though.

Hey thanks for the feed-back. I'm pretty much a hack but really enjoy this stuff. I'm thinking classes would not be a bad investment of time and $$$....

I'll tell you what, I'm certainly no expert. I've been at photography as a whole for ten months or so now. The best place to get knowledge is in books, and on here. Lessons are great and all, but I think the best way to get better: books, critique, and the best of all...get out there and shoot as much as possible and experiment.

I'll tell you what, I'm certainly no expert. I've been at photography as a whole for ten months or so now. The best place to get knowledge is in books, and on here. Lessons are great and all, but I think the best way to get better: books, critique, and the best of all...get out there and shoot as much as possible and experiment.

It depends on the teacher. Mine was great and taught me a lot even though I knew most of the technical stuff already.

Hey Sideburns,
I feel pretty comfortable w/ the basics of exposure, buttons on my camera and what they do and composition. I'm also of the opinion that a good picture is much like any other good art. It's 90% subjective. If you like, it's good! I do think, like many of my other hobbies, there are some key basic fundamentals that I may lack. I'm thinking that a couple classes would be helpful. I was actually thinking about getting an old film camera and taking a class. We have some renowned schools in my area and a thriving art community that I should take advantage of.

By the way, I checked out your work and it looks very professional to me. Everything looks good and seems to have purpose. Not a hack job. Nice work.

Heya Dadof2, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
If there is a chance for you to go to class and also even learn darkroom, then ... whoa! go for it! How I wish there was something like that round here for me! I'd so love to go learn the basics of photography (well, sort of "basics"), instead of either having a big lab do my developing and printing, given I shoot film, or my shooting only digital! Alas, not to be had...

As to your photos of the abandoned mini golf centre ... you decided to put some really BIG frames round some photos that just don't match those in character. Well, at least that is my instant feeling upon viewing these. Your photos have just a touch of "photojournalism" about them, as if you wanted to show the world how this centre became abandoned and what it looks like now ... and such photography wrapped into big (seemingly) metallic frames?? :scratch: Feels wrong...

Also I see you played around with some pp "toys" such as selective colouring ... now that my impression is these could be more photojournalistic than anything else, it no longer works, either...

But all this is purely subjective, of course.

Hey LaFoto,
Yes we do have a great dark room facility in town. I was invited as a guest about a year ago and actually made my first real print (although it was someone else's shot).

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. This kind of information is very helpful. Much more helpful than "doesn't do it for me" - (Trent).

I think I agree with you about the frames. I think either no frame or something different for sure.

Thanks again...

... you decided to put some really BIG frames round some photos that just don't match those in character.

Hey LaFoto et al,
If you get this I'll hope you'll take another look, maybe download and edit them but I would be interested to see what ideas you and others may have regarding these. I went back and broke down those large border. Not sure if I want a border at all. I've seem some really nice prints simply wedged between sheets of glass and hung on a wall.

Thoughts? Input?

Cheers!
James

Most reactions

New Topics

Back