Death Valley photos...but also, a little help please...

AfroKen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kenleephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For New Year's, my girlfriend and I went to that oh-so-traditional of spots, Death Valley. Here's some photos and text:

Eleven Shadows Travels: Death Valley 2009-2010

But also, I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on these two photos:

-Which one do you like better and why?
-And do the hills in the middle of Photo Two look odd to you?

I'm a bit colorblind, a bit of a curse when trying to nail colors, and so when the bluish tinge of the hills in the back conflicted with the warm sand and the fiery-red sky, I tried to change it so it'd mesh better, taking some Photoshop liberties, which I don't do so much. Anyway, lemme know what you think. Thanks!!!!

459redskydune.jpg

Photo One

redskybushes.jpg

Photo Two

Last edited:
I can't give you much C&C because Im pretty new to photography, but just as a viewer I love the colors in the first picture. It stuck out to me right away. :)

I can't give you much C&C because Im pretty new to photography, but just as a viewer I love the colors in the first picture. It stuck out to me right away. :)

Hey thanks! Hey, I'm pretty new too, I'm hardly an expert, and that's why I largely hang out in the Beginner's Forum. But you know, your opinion's valid just like any other appreciator of art. As we learn, our opinions will (hopefully :D ) get more sophisticated.

Anyway, totally appreciate the feedback.

The first one is really noisy.
I rather like the acid colors and contrasts in it though.
Composed well.
:thumbup:

#2 I think the middle hill may bother you because it seems to be advancing on the lower foreground hill.

I am undecided :)thumbup:/:thumbdown:)

The first one is really noisy.
I rather like the acid colors and contrasts in it though.
Composed well.
:thumbup:

#2 I think the middle hill may bother you because it seems to be advancing on the lower foreground hill.

I am undecided :)thumbup:/:thumbdown:)

Yeah, the first one is really noisy.......it was *really* dark, I was doing handheld sop I had to kick up the ISO to 800, and the D50 doesn't do so well in dark, so I definitely got some noise on it, especially in the sand, where the grains of sand exacerbate the noise.

I also like the composition, but....ehhhh, ain't perfect.

The other one, I loved the composition, particularly when I was shooting it, but the colors and stuff....just don't know. I think I'm gonna start from scratch and not monkey around with the second one as much, and see where it goes. And if all else fails, I'll go B&W!! :D I seriously suck at Photoshop.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated!!!!!!

I like the second photo because of the way it has three main segments, each comprising about one-thirds of the frame, contrasted against the small,spindly trees. The second photo is decidedly different than normal, while the first shot is a relatively normal type of composition.

Hum, you should run it through topaz denoise, I can't ATM due to being on iPhone but will do if I remember it
Great picture though

Hum, you should run it through topaz denoise, I can't ATM due to being on iPhone but will do if I remember it
Great picture though

Thanks! Can I have you do a larger version? This version is just for the website. I can probably post it later tonight. Got a recording session in an hour. Thanks again for your very kind offer!!! And if you can't do it, that's fine, I just didn't want you to go through the trouble for that photo when it's the larger one that would really help.

sooooo red, please tell me you didnt edit it that way cause no offense if you did it looks like crap, also the first one is really really noisy but a decent shot, nice colors, although you might want to take down the red saturation a bit

sooooo red, please tell me you didnt edit it that way cause no offense if you did it looks like crap, also the first one is really really noisy but a decent shot, nice colors, although you might want to take down the red saturation a bit

No, I edited it that way. I posted these partially because I suck at Photoshop, and partially because I had a difficuilt time figuring out what to do with these, which one to choose for my "red sky" shot, that kind of thing. As I mentioned, I'm colorblind, so sometimes my perspective gets out of whack! I really really appreciate your feedback!!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back