Debating between 300mm f/4.0D and 55-300mm 4.5-5.6

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 which I love, and a Nikkor 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens which was my first lens. I'm ready to add a lens where I can capture birds, wildlife, outdoor sports, and stuff like that.

Anyone know if it would be a good move to go ahead and get the 4.0 or would it make that much of a difference. Are either of these lenses good?

I would like to hear opinions on which I should get, or if you have an idea of one thats better I'd like to hear it!

Thank you!

Nikkor 300mm 4.0
Price: $1,099.00

Nikkor 55-300mm 4.5-5.6
Price: $299.95

For little, passerine birds in the bushes and undergrowth, I found 300mm didn't really cut it. I was using a 350 + 2xTC which was very slow and with chromatic aberration. Even that arrangement wasn't getting me 'big' pictures of finches, warblers or wading birds in some situations.

Maybe a spotting scope with camera attachment is the way to go (?)

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply PASM. I see what you are saying. Of course I would love a 400 or 500 or even 600mm lens but thats just not in my price range at all unfortunately.
This is what I got at 135mm one day, so I feel like a 300 would be sufficient for what I need although I know you're right- a 600 would be much better. With your experiences, do you think either one of those lenses though is better than the other, also taking into consideration the price?
Chickadee.jpg

I'll leave it to someone here who owns and knows to say :) That's a good shot at 135. Very nice.

Okay, I appreciate your help and thank you very much about the shot! It was mostly luck. :D

You're welcome. I didn't mean to be evasive..I would guess the dedicated 4/300 is a better performer at 300mm. But maybe sometimes the flexibility of a zoom is useful. I once looked-up in a tree and there was a beautiful Kestrel, still as a statue above my head - perch-hunting on a windy day. Luckily, I was just a bit more than the 10 or 12 feet away for minimum focus with a 350mm. A zoom would have been perfect :)

I have the 300mm f/4. It is a fine performer.

The price difference you see between the two lenses in question is usually for a reason.

Just to make your situation more complicated, the 300mm f4 should be getting an update sometime this year to have VR.

Okay, thanks everyone. Looks like I will be saving up a little longer for the 300/4.

The 300 f/4 is a good lens. It's considered slow in AF but I don't find that to be a problem with me (not AF-S model). The 300 f/4 will also take a 1.4x teleconverter as well. The 55-300 is a DX high power zoom. And is a decent general lens. The 70-300 is a full sized lens and has better reviews than the 55-300. Of course its 2x as much. I would still lean towards the 300 f/4.0 as long as you don't need a big zoom for other uses (if your just going to use it for birding). But if your looking for another lens for more than birding. I might look at a 70-300 VR. Refurbished lenses can be had for $400 or less in some places. I don't have a 70-300 but still think of getting one every now and then. Even though I already have 300mm covered. And a good 80-200mm f/2.8. For me it would be a nice longer lens for hiking. Although the 300 f/4.0 is not as heavy as my 300 f/2.8. It still gets heavy in the bag.

Also there is the 80-400?? New is pricey, but they are available on used market.

Thank you very much for your helpful response ben that has a jeep. :D

Yeah, I wouldn't mind all of the above lenses. Minimum wage is a gateway drug, especially for a photographer.
I've been thinking about it more, and with the help of your response, I maybe leaning toward a more practical 80-200. I work as a fill-in photojournalist and that lens either the 2.8, or 4, would be very useful, probably more so than a 300. I don't know. I think I just need to get a better job.

Most reactions

Back