Debating between Film and Digital

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been debating myself that should I switch from film to digital. I am sure a lot of you went thru this too. Love to hear your comments.

I made the switch last summer, well, not really a switch since I still have my film cameras ;)

For any workflow which is supposed to lead to a final digital image (be it to be sent to be printed or for electronic publishing) using a digital camera is just so much more convenient. And unless you are shooting MF or LF, the resolution of digital sensors is just as good as 35mm fine grain pro film... and even better if you scan the fine grain pro film since then you lose some resolution.

I did not regret going digital, but I also never will sell my film cameras :)
My bank account regrets it all though since I decided for a 35mm sensor :p

Have made the switch not FROM film TO digital, but only TO digital, too, some two years ago and after that my personal learning curve took the steepest climb upwards ever. The instant feedback of digital photography as well as the fact that errors can be erased with no further loss have helped A LOT.

After the switch, I felt I needed to "go back to the roots" and have started to experiment with my dad's old Leica ... still do that sometimes because composing and working the camera are so different, but to tell you the truth: most of my photography to day is digital. But I would never think of selling or giving away my SLR or the Leica, for that matter :shock: !!!

And unless you are shooting MF or LF, the resolution of digital sensors is just as good as 35mm fine grain pro film...

Is that only true for full frame sensors?

Is that only true for full frame sensors?

no, there is nor really that much difference between 10MP, 13MP and 16MP.

So from my personal point of view it holds for APS-C sensors as well. Maybe if you use a 30,000 USD drum scanner, your 35mm fine grain film might be equal or maybe better than 10MP of a decent dSLR (still it requires much more post processing such as comstomised grain reduction and sharpening).

things are a bit different if you print from film without going via a digital step.

Of course this is all just my totally biased opinion :p

I was a hardcore film geek that was dragged kicking and screaming to buy my first DSLR by the demands of clients ( "We need that emailed to us an hour after the shoot." ), and the disappearance of the high quality, local film processing services I was used to (I do my own BW, but need the labs for color). I had most of the anti-digital prejudices, and was convinced that I'd be disappointed. What I fool I was. After some practice, education, and figuring out the nuances of digital, it turns out that I love it! :) Now I happily use both film and digital.

but need the labs for color).

you tell me ... this hit me as well, quality at the labs really went downhill. sometimes you get them well processes ... and other times it is just horrible. they apparently have a problem with keeping quality at a constant level these days.

you tell me ... this hit me as well, quality at the labs really went downhill. sometimes you get them well processes ... and other times it is just horrible. they apparently have a problem with keeping quality at a constant level these days.

It's the people and the internet. Demand and profit for full service/pro film processing is dropping through the floor. Unless labs have a huge customer base to rely on they can't afford to keep experienced film techs on staff. My town of 85,000ish used to have three pro level film processing labs. Now there is one, and it's got new owners. It was three rolls of 120 C-41 from a wedding that were light struck because some newbie lab tech didn't pull the sleeves up on the changing box all the way that inspired me to get digital. If files get lost, or a DVD destroyed I can deal with that. When film is wrecked it's forever.

It's the people and the internet. Demand and profit for full service/pro film processing is dropping through the floor. Unless labs have a huge customer base to rely on they can't afford to keep experienced film techs on staff. My town of 85,000ish used to have three pro level film processing labs. Now there is one, and it's got new owners. It was three rolls of 120 C-41 from a wedding that were light struck because some newbie lab tech didn't pull the sleeves up on the changing box all the way that inspired me to get digital. If files get lost, or a DVD destroyed I can deal with that. When film is wrecked it's forever.

sounds sad.

but similar experience gave me the final push to go digital. you know, that little activation energy you need ;) Also the price of film and processing is not really that low. On each of my photographic trips I would spend 300 USD for film and processing alone, so this calculation actually eases financial pain connected with buying a dSLR. I told myself buying a DSLR is the equivalent of buying a new camera body plus some years worth of free film and processing ;)

+1 on shooting both...

Digital is in my opinion easier to get custom prints as you get to do all your own processing and post processing... it saves a TON of cash in the long run for lab work...well that is if you arent like me and spend MORE than that TON on gear...LOL

I still shoot film albiet medium and large format though... my 35mm Canon 1nRS hasnt left the bag in a LOOONG time... and probably wont for much longer...

I still shoot film for two purposes... the first being that anyone that has seen a medium format shot... its fabulous... the second being that it slows me down and I like that... I can go out and shoot 500-1000 shots at a MX or snocross race... and have to deal with all that processing... or I can go out like today shooting trains... and shoot the large quantity of 17 shots :thumbup:

They will have to pry my Mamiyas out of my cold dead hands...LOL

no, there is nor really that much difference between 10MP, 13MP and 16MP.

Personally I would say you don't even have to go that far and 6MP compares very favourably with 35mm. Although I'm not suggesting that's a reason to choose digital instead of 35mm. I still shoot both (in addition to medium format film) although admittedly my film work is now almost entirely black & white. The main reason for not shooting colour film being I don't like having no control over the prints the labs give me, which of course are produced digitally anyway.

Hi TBaraki, that’s a good point. May be it is a comfort zone issue.

Hi Alex B, you made a great point on “convenient”. Yeah, you are right. The 35mm sensor one is expensive….at least to me. How come I didn’t see the New York city photos in your Urban Gallery? I would love to see them since I am from there.

Hi LaFoto, thanks for your sharing. You made a great point on “correcting the error”. Well, I have no knowledge at all at any photo editing tool like photoshop. Then, second thing comes in my mind is that “hey, that’s not real, you edit it” I feel like that I am cheating. I am sure you understand what I feel. May be I will get used to it soon.

Hi Aquarium Dreams, good that you brought up that so I can learnt more.

Hi ksmattish, ha ha, love to hear that you as an extremist switching to digital. You made a great point on the “time” and “storage” issue especially for those who make their living in photography.

Hi Orgnoi1, great point on saving money. It is getting more expensive on film processing. May be there is a lot less demand now. They have to make their livings too. Some others members also point out the quality goes down.

Hi ZaphodB, good point on the quality issue. Right, it is like betting. For those who still do their own processing could tell, there is still some decision to make in order to change the look. So, we just hope they come out to our expectation.

Most reactions

Back