Debating on a lens...

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot with a Canon 20D and have the basic lenses so far... 18-55 kit lens, 75-300, and a nifty fifty. I'm thinking about a 28mm 2.8... I love my nifty fifty, and I think I would like a 28mm also. I was shooting downtown in an alley the other day, wanted DOF, but couldn't use my fifty because I couldn't back up enough to get the shot I wanted (I was up against the wall already). The kit lens doesn't give me the DOF I wanted. So I can get the 28mm 2.8 for $180 at B&H... anyone shoot with it or have advice? Thanks!

~jenn

I have a 28mm lens and I use it a lot for city shooting. It's great for when you want to take a picture of a building or something but don't want to stand in the middle of the road to do it.

I can't really be much help as far as the particular lens you're looking at because my 28mm is on my old AE-1, but as far as the usefulness of a 28mm lens in general, I like mine.

When I have to I stand in the middle of the road :p. If you want you can save up some money for a zoom lens with a constant aperture ex. 24-70 f/2.8 . But you would have to save up a lot.

I was shooting downtown in an alley the other day, wanted DOF,
Do you mean shallow DOF? You DOF (Depth Of Field) with any lens you use (as long as your subject is in focus).
The kit lens doesn't give me the DOF I wanted.
If you're trying to get a blurry OOF (Out Of Focus) background or bokeh you have to understand the mechanics of how DOF works...it's not only about using a wide aperture.

Tutorial: Depth Of Field
So I can get the 28mm 2.8 for $180 at B&H... anyone shoot with it or have advice? Thanks!
I don't have the EF 28mm f/2.8 but I think you might want a wider lens for tight spots. The best replacement lens for the standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. It costs a lot more than the EF 28mm f/2.8 but many people feel the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens is worth every penny.

Rather than the 28mm F1.8, maybe consider the Sigma 30mm F1.4.

Not only is F1.4 a lot bigger than F2.8 but the Sigma has very high image quality, probably a fair bit better than the Canon 28mm F2.8.

Do you mean shallow DOF? You DOF (Depth Of Field) with any lens you use (as long as your subject is in focus).If you're trying to get a blurry OOF (Out Of Focus) background or bokeh you have to understand the mechanics of how DOF works...it's not only about using a wide aperture.

Yes, sorry, I did mean shallow DOF. Left out an important word, didn't I? That's what I get for trying to post when it's past my bedtime. :wink: And I understand about getting an OOF background... having the subject farther away from the background, etc... but in an alley, it's a tight squeeze, so to keep them away from the wall (background), I didn't have enough room to get the shot like I wanted it. I need a wider lens than my 50.

URL="http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm"]Tutorial: Depth Of Field[/URL]I don't have the EF 28mm f/2.8 but I think you might want a wider lens for tight spots. The best replacement lens for the standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. It costs a lot more than the EF 28mm f/2.8 but many people feel the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens is worth every penny.

I would love to have that lens, but that's not in the cards (or should I say wallet?) for me right now... I'd like to have something to "hold me over" til I can afford better glass.

Thanks for your input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back