Decent flash for Canon 10D?

jdarling

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know my camera is a bit dated, but it works for me :). The only part of it that doesn't really work for me is the flash. I have a Sunpak 433AF (Nikon version) that someone gave me that at least fires but has absolutely 0 settings and of course doesn't work with the E-TTL of the 10D so its basically an all or nothing type of flash for my uses.

Looking online and at Amazon is like trying to grok all of Wikipedia at once (beyond my abilities to keep straight).

So, does anyone know an inexpensive (sub $50 would be great, $100 absolute max). I'd love it if it would work both on camera and off, as the 10D has a PC port for studio flash maybe that's an option too?

I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-Speedlite-Panasonic-Fujifilm/dp/B00LNN13S6/ on amazon but it doesn't support E-TTL and the version that does support E-TTL doesn't appear to have manual override or the PC jack for remote usage. E-TTL isn't a deal breaker but it is a nice to have, some type of remote usage (PC Jack, hotshoe cable, etc) is something I really want.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have several yongnuo 568EX flashes for Nikon and love them. they are down to around $100 on ebay new.
yn568EX canon eBay

I recently picked up a Neewer 750II flash for nikon $60 new and have found it to be pretty comparable to the Yongnuo flash.
neewer 750ii canon eBay

both flashes support TTL.
the yongnuo also does HSS.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I looked at the Yongnuo Flashes but they all seemed to either say "TTL" or "i-TTL" with very few of the less expensive ones being "E-TTL". Unfortunately (for me at least) when Canon built the 10D they decided it should only support E-TTL cutting out a vast majority of flashes (I think they were just trying to push their new Speedlights at the time).

The 750ii looks really promising especially for the price. Will have to look at it in detail as I think it checks all the boxes ;)

From what I read, the older Canon EOS DSLR such as the D30 and 10D support flash with trigger voltage of 6V or less and newer models such as the 20D, 30D .. .... .. support up to 250v. So make sure the flash you are getting is 6V or less or add a Wein-safe sync for using a higher trigger voltage flash.

I also have the Neewer 750II. It is my first speedlight, so I can't comment on it compared to other units, but it does what I need it to do.

Most reactions

Back