Decent tripod setup for <= $150?

sweet, thanks! figured id better spend a little extra and do it right!

think I'm picking up a Manfrotto from a local dealer this weekend. I'm not sure what model is it but I know it's $175 for the legs about another $75 for the ball head.

oh and not to mention a SB-600! :drool:
You sound just like my portraiture clients.

What they claim as their absolute maximum budget and what they actually spend is hardly ever the same. :thumbup:

think I'm picking up a Manfrotto from a local dealer this weekend. I'm not sure what model is it but I know it's $175 for the legs about another $75 for the ball head.

oh and not to mention a SB-600! :drool:
You sound just like my portraiture clients.

What they claim as their absolute maximum budget and what they actually spend is hardly ever the same. :thumbup:

well, if i wasnt trying to pay for a wedding i wouldnt be so trigger shy... but im trying to pinch where i can. after comparing a $160 ball/leg set to the $175 legs... i knew where i needed to spend my money. would be a poor investment to spend it again... especially when i upgrade to a d90/300s

I'm hijacking this thread rather than starting a new one (to appease the forum police :er:)

I'm looking at getting a tripod myself. I picked out the Benro TRA069 Aluminum Travel Angel Kit because of it's affordability, it's a kit (basic ballhead and a case) and its compactness. It's max load is only 4.4lbs. However, when I went in store to purchase it, the sales person informed that it's "meant for point-and-shoots", and that a better investment would be the Manfrotto 190XB Tripod Kit. It does seem much nicer, better quality, and the vertical center column adjuster is a nice touch - so I bought it. But the height/reach is the same, and it ways nearly twice as much as the other one, and is also nearly a foot long when closed.

Now I'm wondering if it is what I need. It seems a bit heavy to be lugging around (carbon fiber is out of my budget). I want to use it for both indoor portraiture and some outdoor landscapes. I don't think the horizontal column is something I need - but who knows. I'm afraid I'll miss opportunities because it was too cumbersome to bring along (e. When I go camping and hiking). But then I worry the Benro is too cheap and not a long time investment...

Also - any opinions of ball head versus a 3-way tilt?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back