Deciding between lenses...need advice!

sblue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I need advice about purchasing a new lens. I currently own a D3000 (I would like to upgrade to a FX body within the next 6 months, but it just can't happen right now) and I have a handful of engagement shoots coming up this month and next.

My lens collection is currently very bare. I only have the 18-55mm kit lens and the AF-S 35mm f/1.8. I usually resort to the latter during portrait sessions because it creates nice bokeh and sharper pictures. However, I'm looking for something that will really increase the sharpness of my subjects (and a creamier bokeh wouldn't hurt at all).

My budget is around $500 for a new lens, which doesn't provide a lot of room to wiggle. I've been looking at the 50mm f/1.4 for some time now. I've also been considering the 85mm f/1.8. I'm open to other suggestions but these are my main contenders.

This morning, I came across a seller on Craigslist in my area that's offering an AF 50mm f/1.8 and AF 85mm f/1.8 for $350 total. I know these lenses won't auto-focus on my camera but I don't mind using them manually.

My question for the pros out there - which route should I take? Buy the new lens with lower f-stop, grab the used lenses, or pick something else altogether?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! =)

Well the 50mm will "work" with any future FX camera. I have the one (i assume you are talking about the 1.8G), and I love it.

I love my 50mm 1.8 but wish I had the 1.4.. sometimes that one stop can mean everything.

I asked somewhat of the same question just now lol been doing research over the past few days, you know when you do so much reading you can't think straight? I am at that point lol. I would def look at the 50mm 1.4.. my advice go to your local camera store and play with them.. they have demos for a reason.

I love my 50mm 1.8 but wish I had the 1.4.. sometimes that one stop can mean everything.
Meh. Just bump up the ISO ? Or for what else do you need f/1.4 instead of f/1.8 ? Which is only a 2/3 stop plus the lens gets much bigger, heavier, more expensive, and on top of all that is even inferior in optical quality.

Given what you are doing and what you are intending to do, I'd go for the 50mm f/1.4. As far as IQ of the f/1.8 vs f/1.4, you'll never see it but, the difference in bokeh you might if you shoot them wide open. Also, the fit, finish, and overall build quality of the f/1.4 is superior to the f/1.8. (jmho)

85mm 1.8G portrait lens that will work great when you go FX. The FX camera will/can give you better low performance so the 1.8 would still work great. Pluse 85mm will be 85mm and not the product of the x1.5. The IQ of the new 85mm 1.8G really good too. Always invest in the best glass that you could afford.

Yes, the new-ish 85 mm f/1.8G is an excellent lens - one of the finest short telephotos Nikon has made, and they have made some great ones. I've had six different 85 mm Nikkors and that is the best of them.

The new 50mm f1.8g will auto focus on your camera and it will also perform better than the much more expensive 1.4g which was based on a 40+yo design and is soft below f2.

Most reactions

Back