Decisions..decisions. Help me decide what to spend some dough on?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:confused:

Soo, I have aquired $600 to spend on my choosing. Santa was fairly nice to me this year :wink:. Which, of course, will be photography related. Now I just have to choose between the following:

Set 1:
2x 150w/s strobes
2x 20x28" softboxes
1x smaller softbox
3x black/silver 33" umbrellas
3x light stands
1x 10x20' grey backdrop
1x 5x9' white backdrop
1x 5x9' black backdrop
1x barn door, grid, filter set
1x snoot
1x Sigma 400mm F/5.6 APO (NON-MACRO)

OR

Set 2:
1x Sigma 150-500mm F/5-6.3 APO OS HSM

OR

Set 3:
1x Sigma 50-500mm F/4-6.3 EX DG HSM APO

OR

Set 4:
(This would involve selling my Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 for funds)
1x Sigma 400mm F/5.6 APO (NON-MACRO)
1x Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8

OR

Set 5:
(This would involve selling my Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 and Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 for funds)
1x Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8
1x Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8

OR

Set 6:
1x Nikon SB-800/900
1x Miscellaneous additives (light modifiers)

The only thing is, I dont know where Id use the lighting setup at. I honestly dont have the room to use it anywhere. Also, I dont know if the image quality is better on the BIGMA, BIGMOS, or 400mm prime. Ahh..decisions, decisions. What would you do? My current list of equipment is in my signature.

Mark

Last edited:
It may be a little premature, but bumpp. I have a man waiting for me to tell him if he should be waiting for payment on the Sigma 400mm/5.6 APO or not. I would only be paying $165 for the lens shipped second day air with a Nikon CL32 case, CPOL, UV filters. I think I may just buy that and resell it when I decide on which set I will go with.

Mark

It would help if you added what you want to use the gear for?

Well, for the telephotos, I will be shooting wildlife and possibly sports if the lighting allows. Primarily wildlife, though.

For the Tokina and Tamron, I would be replacing what I would use my Sigmas for now. Wide-angle appropriate photographs, and photographs appropriate for the 17-50mm range respectively.

For the lighting setups, well..studio-style photographs.

Mark

I second that Canon-1......Kidding. "Canon AE-1" sure did help.
I'd go with set 1 or 4.
Set 1 if you need / plan on doing alot of studio work.
Set 4 because it has the nice 400mm, and also the wide angle ( which i have heard only good things about ).
Worse case scenario - like you said, if you do not like the 400mm, then resell it ;)

Well, I just paid for the Sigma 400mm F/5.6 APO, Nikon CL-32 case, Hoya CPOL, and Hoya UV..all for $165 shipped second day air. It should be at my door Wednesday. :mrgreen:

Mark

Most reactions

Back