decisions decisions

Jono

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
About 4 months ago I bought a 70-300 Tamron lense and so far it has served me well. Now that I am seeing the limitations, however it was a cheap lense bought to get me into longer range photography & motorsport before I bought something expensive. Not sure which way to go now tho.

I currently shoot with a 350D, but I have just sold my MX5 trackcar and have some cash to spend on my photography, up to £1300 to help me get more advanced. I have a couple of options:

1: EF100-400mm L IS USM to use with my current 350D and have a few quid left over for a new kit bag/back pack & an A3 printer

2: sell my 350D, change to a new 40D body, Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG HSM(or similar), kit bag/backpack & an A3 printer.

Most of what I shoot is motorsport, espacially close action sports like rallying, motorcycle road racing as well as circuit work. Whatever I go for, I also have the standard 18-55mm kit lense and a 10-20mm. I have started to get a bit of interest in my shots, and had a couple published in local motorsport mags, so I want to be able to move up to the next level.

Would either of the above be suitable for this, or what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

I shoot motorsports and love my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for this. If for your stuff you end up needing a bit longer, you could always use the Sigma 1.4x tele which works extremely well with the sigma 70-200.

I also used the 350D/XT for the majority of the season (before I actually knew I was making money) and it has worked VERY well. The only main thing I am gaining with my 40D is the 6.5fps/75buffer, and I really only needed that when I shot a dodge viper show when about 50 dodge vipers drove by me in about 2 mins or less.

Anyway, my vote would be to try the 70-200. Canon's is also very good, but for a f/2.8, the Sigma is a lot cheaper, and has treated me GREAT. Having bought the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, there's no way I'd turn back time to get a canon instead.

keep the 350D. The lens will serve you far better. As for which lens... I'm a nikon guy so i'm bailing right about here...

Definitely go for the lens unless there is limitations in your current camera that you want to upgrade up to. The 100-400 f/4-5.6 L IS is an excellent zoom lens for nature and stuff. But for fast action sports, motorsport, etc, you may be better served with a faster lens that will be able to give you a faster shutter speed so you can stop action. The EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS or non-IS would be excellent choices along with the Sigma mentioned. I prefer IS if I am going to hand-hold shots. If not a monopod or tripod will suffice. The 1.4x TC on the f/2.8 works miracles. Would not reccommend the 2x TC though.

been thinking of changing the camera to a 400D, body only they are cheap as chips now, so that would leave a very healthy budget for glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back