Decoding Woodsac...

I think its because Photomatix doesn't let you do the 'generate' HDR command with multiple RAW files opened. To Photomatix, RAW files are HDRs in themselves. But, when you convert to Tiff first, you can keep all the (8,12,16) bits of information, and be able to pull off the 'generate' trick.

You can use RAW in Photomatix.

I only shoot RAW. I do it for the sole purpose of exposure and white balance control. So in some cases, my RAW image wb's have been adjusted to be the same before importing to Photomatix. Beyond that, a 16bit TIFF provides all the information I need in an image to merge to HDR.

I'm not saying there aren't any, but I haven't found any benefit of merging the RAW files opposed to TIFF files? Most labs do not accept RAW formats. So any additional information is lost in the TIFF conversion for print.

I just prefer seeing my final format while I'm working with it.

I use TIFF's in photomatix as well because when you're creating these images, you need as much data as possible. You lose next to nothing if you converta your RAW's to TIFF's.

I use TIFF's in photomatix as well because when you're creating these images, you need as much data as possible. You lose next to nothing if you converta your RAW's to TIFF's.

This is very good to know. Thanks!

Just curious Sw1tch, when you sold that HDR photo of yours (you mentioned it in a previous post), how did you go about marketing it? Im dying to know.

Thanks for the relies re. tiffs. I'll give it a go next time I use photomatix. My initial thought is that it will take longer to convert the RAW files into tiffs and then bring them into photomatix compared to letting photomatix do it for me...but I'll never know unless I try

Thanks for the relies re. tiffs. I'll give it a go next time I use photomatix. My initial thought is that it will take longer to convert the RAW files into tiffs and then bring them into photomatix compared to letting photomatix do it for me...but I'll never know unless I try
Gotcha ;)
With Lightroom, all 3 exposures take about 20 seconds?
Now, exporting RAW to TIFF from Photomatix is MUCH slower!!

I want to say I also admire your work. My husband is a HUGE fan of yours. Thank you for the tutorial.... Your awesome !

First post here and I just wanted to mention how awesome this website is. I started photography in Middle School and I am just now getting back into it.

Thanks for this tutorial - pic number 3 is really special.

thanks woodsac, its great to kow that people here will help others, such a great in depth descrioption, will definately be bookmarking that topic, also i just love them photos, i wish that one day i will be able to produce something like that, keep up the excellent work.

My .02 on this is that the HDR effect on these shots is just the icing. Like others said, HDR doesn't save a bad shot and really I think Woodsac uses the fisheye extremely well. I've seen both HDR and fisheye shots that were incredibly lame but I think Woodsac's shots especially those posted in this thread really show off the strong points of both tools.

I've often thought both tools were sort of "fad-ish" but man looking at these shots really makes me 2nd think that.

Most reactions

Back