Dedicated 35mm film scanner?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I've thought about it, and I think I am really just going to stick with 35mm film for quite a while. While I like the idea of medium format, 35mm is going to be easier and more productive for me.

What models are recommended for scanning 35mm? I see Nikon CoolScan models for reasonable prices, thoughts?

Use your D7100, a Nikon ES-2 and a Micro-Nikkor 40/2.8g. There’s been no real improvement in film scanners for years. Ever wonder why?

Use your D7100, a Nikon ES-2 and a Micro-Nikkor 40/2.8g. There’s been no real improvement in film scanners for years. Ever wonder why?

Actually I don't wonder why, I already have a good idea why. Not enough market to justify it.

Now, I see your recommendation, it's interesting, but the Nikon ES-2 is marketed for full frame with the AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED, can you go into more detail about this setup and how it works, I'll, of course, look into it more. I'd like your thoughts on your recommendation, just telling me I can do this and that doesn't do much for me.

Actually I don't wonder why, I already have a good idea why. Not enough market to justify it.

Now, I see your recommendation, it's interesting, but the Nikon ES-2 is marketed for full frame with the AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED, can you go into more detail about this setup and how it works, I'll, of course, look into it more. I'd like your thoughts on your recommendation, just telling me I can do this and that doesn't do much for me.

Works with the 40/2.8g on DX bodies. Do some searching and check it out. Advantages? Speed and the ability to focus—two things flatbeds aren’t good at.

Works with the 40/2.8g on DX bodies. Do some searching and check it out. Advantages? Speed and the ability to focus—two things flatbeds aren’t good at.

I'll look into it.

I wasn't looking into flatbeds, I was looking at some dedicated 35mm scanners like the Nikon Coolscan V or 5000 or something.

The only thing I would have to get is a dedicated light source for the Nikon ES-2 and the Nikkor 40mm, the price is comparable or cheaper, I am intrigued.

What is the image quality like compared to lab scans or really good scanners? (Not including flatbed scanners)

Coolscans are obsolete. Zero support from Nikon. O/s and hardware issues to boot, though survivalists insist Coolscans still rock.

Lots online about dslr scanning. Suggest you dig around to see what suits.

Coolscans are obsolete. Zero support from Nikon. O/s and hardware issues to boot, though survivalists insist Coolscans still rock.

The one thing I would be concerned with is that I would have to deal with not only inverting the colors but also dealing with the orange color base of color film and whatever base black and white film uses.

The one thing I would be concerned with is that I would have to deal with not only inverting the colors but also dealing with the orange color base of color film and whatever base black and white film uses.

Most scanning software automatically adjusts for the orange base of color film, as sell as inverting the colors. You just tell the software you're scanning color negative film and you'll get a 'correct' image after scanning. Black & white film usually has no base tint, so there's no need to worry about it.

Most scanning software automatically adjusts for the orange base of color film, as sell as inverting the colors. You just tell the software you're scanning color negative film and you'll get a 'correct' image after scanning. Black & white film usually has no base tint, so there's no need to worry about it.

Maybe the scanners don't have a problem doing that, but if you use the DSLR method of digitizing negatives, then that can be an issue. The other potential issue with DSLR from the reading I have done, is that the film and imaging sensor have to be, as far as I know, perfectly parallel and aligned.

So, I think I will still go with the scanner method, which ends up being a little easier to deal with. It's just a matter of which scanner to go with, lots of options with hardware and software, and various people getting good results with different types of flatbeds and dedicated 35mm scanners.

best way to scan negatives does not involve allowing the software to invert or make any other auto adjustments anyway. do that in post software like ps. because scanning software sucks.

I acquired a roll film scanner in the last year. I think it's a Minolta. I have not messed with it as I have no need to but one thing this thread made me think of is whether or not the devices would be usable with current operating systems. I have no expertise in this area but I'm sure there are many on this board that do. Good luck

I use a V800 and have been very happy with the results. I have friends that use the V650 and the V700 and all love them. The big advantage of the V700/800 is the full size backlight so you can scan 3 strips in one go or a full rack of slides. It may speed up your workflow a bit.

I use Silverfast for my software and have been quite satisfied with it.

To give you an idea of results I did all the scanning here, here and here (all shot on an F3 and ilford film processed at home except the color). I also scanned my families photo archive if you want an idea of what you can get print scanning wise check out this album keep in mind I did this for speed not accuracy or dust free quality scans. The images in many cases were also scratched or had issues when they hit the bed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back