Deep Freeze!

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's been a rough week for my poor Canon 10D. Last week after a 15 minute shoot that helped me lose all feeling in my hands I accidentally spilled capuccino on it and gave myself a good hour or two of cleaning duty (luckily the camera is fine :shock: ) and then on Christmas eve morning I tried to deep freeze it! (not on purpose of course :wink: ) I decided to go down to the harbor again because the extreme cold had frozen the harbor overnight and the cloud wall in the distance was truly spectacular. In addition to this there was a sort of frozen fog rolling slowly across all the ice in front of the clouds so I thought for sure a prize image would be easy to get.

So I set up my tripod and camera on a totally ice covered catwalk accross from the light house and started to snap some pictures and wait for the sun to crest the clouds and reveal the fog. Temp now was about -10f with the wind chill somewhere between -25 and -45. I also snapped off a couple of "test" shots from a Canon AE-1P that my wife and I gave to her sister for Christmas. Well once the moment of truth began to arrive I fired up the now almost frosted 10D and managed to get off 3 lackluster shots before it totally died! Luckily I had the AE-1P as a back up to keep shooting. Unfortunately (strike 2!) I ran out of film just before the sun crested the clouds :cry: So I tried my last backup, my Rebel 2000, only to find the batteries were also frozen in that one.

I could cry thinking about it now. I stood in the cold for an hour and all I could do when the moment came was stand and watch in awe and store it in my memory never to be able to share it with anyone else :cry:

Moral of the story? Always keep warm batteries and film in your pocket and attempt to sheild your camera from the cold as much as possible. These of course are things I already know but unfortunately did not heed on that morning. In the end I was taught a hard learned lesson in missing a truly amazing series of shots.

I did mention to get a couple nice shots before that, but nothing like what I saw after all the cameras went dead :cry:

lake6574_JFR.jpg

Sorry for the novel :shock:

Ooooh...that's a moody one. But I think we should make a rule on this forum...when it's this friggin cold out, you can only post pictures of the beach in the summer time, or otherwise warm looking things. :LOL: I'm so cold and you guys' pictures aren't helpin! :)

Seriously though, I like it. :)

Thanks guys. This cold weather does suxxor teh big 1111 but I am finding that the best outdoor images seem to be products of the most extreme circumstances. It's like the more extreme the weather is, the better the images will be :roll: Guess I'll have to try the Sahara next :lol:

I know how you feel. As a rule I always keep my camera in my winter coat and whip it out for a few shots and put it back in. Today I was shooting in a snow fal and used my unbrella to shield the D-70. Awkward but it worked and I got minimal snow on it.

I really like this image if that helps :)

Cheers,

Eric

Well, I'm quite fond of your "novel", and of the photo that DOES accompany it, though, like you are saying, you did not get as many as you had hoped for.
I have never in all my life felt a cold that would make my camera freeze. Our winters are milder, that is for certain!
Therefore, however, I haven't ever been able to take a picture like the one that you managed to get, either.
Like you are saying: it might be the extreme that makes the photo. This one makes me shiver - once you'll have been to the Sahara (go quickly!), your new photo will make me defrost... ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back