deeper DOF inside??

memento

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 40d w/ the 28-135 and just got a 430ex flash for it. I was taking a bunch of pictures new years eve and am quite happy with how they turned out(compared to my old P&S).
The one thing I noticed was how shallow the DOF is. I have several pictures where a parent is in focus but the kid sitting in their lap is 'soft' looking.
How can I get inside pics to have a deeper DOF?

DOF is a result of your aperture, focal length, distance to subject etc....but the most important thing is the aperture.

If you want a deeper DOF, then use a smaller aperture (higher F number).

Since you are using flash, you won't necessarily need to use a longer shutter speed.

In auto mode, when the light is low, the camera will probably give you the maximum aperture and a shutter speed of 1/60, or something like that. The flash will give you enough light for the exposure. If you use Av mode, the camera will use the aperture you choose, but it will give you a shutter speed that would be appropriate if you were not using flash...in other words, it will assume that you want flash for fill only...which may not be enough in a dark situation.

The solution is to use manual mode. Set an aperture that will give you the DOF you want. Maybe F8 or F11. The flash (in E-TTL mode) will give you enough light for the aperture that you choose.

The shutter speed isn't really that important. A longer shutter speed will give you more ambient (background) exposure but may also give you some blur or ghosting. Experiment to find out what is working for you.

I tried the AV mode(f/8) and the shutter speed was too slow, so I just put in back to auto for the night.

When you say use manual mode, is that for the camera or flash?

edit: just reread... flash (in E-TTL mode)

so use M for the camera set to f/8ish and play with the speed?

so use M for the camera set to f/8ish and play with the speed?
You've got it. :thumbup:

Also, you can adjust the FEC (flash exposure compensation) to alter the level of exposure that the flash is giving you.

Also, you can adjust the FEC (flash exposure compensation) to alter the level of exposure that the flash is giving you.

I was reading about that last night.
Boy have I got a lot to learn :lol:

thanks for the input :cheers:

Flash photography is certainly something that can take a while to wrap your head around...but once you have the idea down, it's gets to be pretty easy.

If you want some reading (a lot of reading :) )...there is the 'EOS Flash Bible' which is full of technical information about Canon flash and how it works.

Memento,
If you're looking at learning about flash photography the EOS Flash Bible is a great read. Also, if you want to get really creative and fall into an inescapable pit of always thinking about lighting, checkout strobist.com. This is a website with loads of information about lighting with off camera lights, but still using small flashes like the one you already own. You can get some pretty sweet shots with just that little flash you carry around.

Thanks nic.. I see myself spending a lot of time there. :cheers:

And Mike, I already added that to my favorites from one of your previous posts.
I tried to make sense of it.. :confused: :lol:

Most reactions

Back