Deer fron Stratford - composition critique

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Me trying to learn composition when I can't get right up close - I'm slowly getting there I think, though afew pointers would be helpfull. These are 4 shots show as is with no cropping performed (though other editing is done).

All taken with Canon 400D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L + 1.4teleconverter

4096199453_9ed03a2f53_o.jpg

f5, ISO 200, 1/500sec
link to larger: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2506/4096197495_08bb7940fc_o.jpg

I think this one came out reasonably well, though I think shaving of a little from the right and lower parts just to move the deer more onto a line of 3rds.

4096199793_0c283b82d2_o.jpg

f4, ISO 200, 1/500sec
link to larger: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/4096957256_b8f3cf115a_o.jpg

I love his puff of breath, but the ring around the tree really distracts for me. Even though cropping out the ring makes the shot feel uncomfortably framed - at least to me - so I think a little off the left as well to try and make the distance behind the deer a little less.

4096957502_d81a0ea76b_o.jpg

f5.6, ISO 200, 1/200sec
link to larger: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2707/4096955988_a470ff12b5_o.jpg

After editing this one I really feel the whole of the green base needs to go. I was trying to be more creative and I think it would have worked better to have had the red autumn colours dominating the top rather than the greens below (though of course then chances are the white sky would have been a pain in the far upper sections).

4096957640_e6dcaf76e7_o.jpg

f4.5, ISO 200, 1/800sec
link to larger: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2597/4096198673_9fcace47ea_o.jpg

Left and down! Gah if only I had shot like that in the field to capture his legs in the frame and no wasted space on the right. Sadly I think this shot shows that my focusing for the day was in the wrong mindset. I was shooting with my middle point being the only one active, since I prefer having control over what the camera focuses on and also its the only crosspoint I have (so I trust it a little more than the rest). I really do think that (on reflection) I should have been letting all the AF points be active since the deer were the only big features in any frame rather then reeds or other forground distractions.

So there we go - any comments/crits are welcome, thank you

PS my monitor is horrible at the moment, a very cheap flatscreen so contrast is a right pain to work with at the moment. These look "good to me" but I would welcome any input as to how they look to others.

You've done a marvelous job of critiquing your own work....what more is there left for us to do? ;)

Seriously, this is the type of critical analysis that C&C should be based upon, and just showing us your thought processes is a wonderful demonstration of a good way to do C&C.

I'm liking them a lot!

the last one looked weird until I looked at it again, now I like it. The first one is the best though.

Thanks for the compliments both
Derral - sounds like I just need to get my mind working in the field more on a composition basis - like checking those darn edges!

hmm does this mean I know all there is to know of composition? ;)

Comeone someone must have some thoughts - or do I have to stick "paid wedding photographer" in the title to get you lot being critical? ;)

First: Know your animals. That is an elk, not a deer.
Second: If you are photographing captive animals do not make it obvious. Get rid of the ring around the tree.
Third: Butt ends of animals are not very fetching.
Fourth: Cut off muzzles and legs do not make for very attractive pictures.
Your exposure and focus are OK. Lighting and angles could be better. Usually, good animal shots are the result of huge luck or burning up lots and lots of film. Fortunately, you don't have to spend big money on film. Go back and spend much time to allow for light changes and angle opportunities.

hehe nopes it really is a deer - Red Deer to be exact. But your US side and they do look very similar to Elk that you get (whilst european Elk look different again)

Second: If you are photographing captive animals do not make it obvious. Get rid of the ring around the tree.

Debatable since captivity can be a major part of the displayed image - but I do get your meaning, sadly it was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting a grabshot as it were - I could try cloning it out, but it would take a long while to look right and I am no expert with cloning.

Third: Butt ends of animals are not very fetching..

? I wasn't aware I had any (in this series) which were overly displaying their rumps. Could you expand on this

Your exposure and focus are OK. Lighting and angles could be better. Usually, good animal shots are the result of huge luck or burning up lots and lots of film. Fortunately, you don't have to spend big money on film. Go back and spend much time to allow for light changes and angle opportunities.

I wish I could, but they are on the other side of the country - ok smaller than the US, but still a good few hours driving and I don't have a car (and public transport is more limited - at least for getting there in good lighting)

Last edited:

hehe nopes it really is a deer - Red Deer to be exact. But your US side and they do look very similar to Elk that you get (whilst european Elk look different again)

Debatable since captivity can be a major part of the displayed image - but I do get your meaning, sadly it was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting a grabshot as it were - I could try cloning it out, but it would take a long while to look right and I am no expert with cloning.

Third: Butt ends of animals are not very fetching..

? I wasn't aware I had any (in this series) which were overly displaying their rumps. Could you expand on this

I wish I could, but they are on the other side of the country - ok smaller than the US, but still a good few hours driving and I don't have a car (and public transport is more limited - at least for getting there in good lighting)

I didn't notice you are in UK. Sorry about the deer/elk mix up, I did think it was an unusual looking elk.
First picture it is a 'going away' shot. My feeling, and experience is that most folks are not fond of those.
I lived in UK three years. Understand travel problems. Sadly, good photo ops don't usually come to you.

Most reactions

Back