Deleting Images from Memory..

Qalbi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys I've recently deleted images using my computer. The problem is I noticed that the amount of pictures I can take after I free some space does not equal to the amount of pictures I can take with these many free space (27GB, I can only take 400?). Advice please..

Perhaps you need to format the card in-camera. Look in the menu to see how this is done in your camera. Mine tells me how much space is taken up/free before I press OK to continue to format.

Is the 400 what the camera is telling you? How did you calculate how many you expect to take with the 27gb of free space. Generally the images sizes will vary so the camera calculation of shots left is an estimate.

As an aside, I always copy all files to the computer, backup and then format the card in the camera when I get back to using that card. I never delete images from the card using either the camera or the computer (except for the delete that is done as part of the format process).

Are you clearing the whole card of images, or just some?
Have you uploaded all of your images from the card to your computer?
If you answered yes to the first question then that is why you can only get a lesser amount of images on the card. As stated you need to clear the whole card by formatting in the camera, but you need to load any images not on your computer to it.
If you answered yes to the second question, then as said format the card.
The amount of photos that your camera is saying you will get is only an estimate, and not a hard number. This is because unless a photo is of the exact same scene, the amount of data for each photo will be different.
For example: If you shoot a photo of a blank white wall, there will be little data in it, and your counter will stay the same, most likely. If however you put a subject in front of that wall it will change the count, and if you add more things in it will change again. The more complex the scene the more space it takes up on the card.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think it's just down to what settings I choose to save the file at. It was at Jpeg+Raw, so when I switch to Jpeg it gives me more space to capture images.

Most reactions

Back