Dell 2209wa monitor

OK, latest update. Went to Best Buy armed with all your helpful info and it took the salesperson less than 30 seconds to make me feel like a complete idiot.
So, new tactic is to find someone more computer literate than me and hopefully have them help me negotiate all this.
Sorry if I let you all down. I appreciate all the help you've given.
Thanks,
Laura

A word on video cards- a few years back, the standard was changed from "AGP" cards to "PCI-e" cards. They are not interchangeable. Be sure you know what your older PC has. If you have an AGP motherboard, your choices will be limited. Google your computer's model number and find some specifications.

Thought I'd update you all. A friend hooked me up with the head computer tech at NMSU here in New Mexico. He pretty much told me I need a new computer to keep from ripping my hair out. RAM ports will only allow for another less than 500mg giving me still less than 1gig, and video card is AGP. Upgrade possible, but for slightly more can get new computer. He estimated mine to be about 7 yrs old. (originally bought for my then 8 yr. old son.)

He's gonna research it and said he could find me a great system for under $500. What do I have to pay him? A jug of local micro brew beer (about $9) I think I just used up all my Karma.

Life is good again! Thanks for all the awesome help!!
Laura

Thanks again for all your help

:lol: 7 years old we could have answered the AGP PCI-e question for you. Yes new computer is wise, and not just to get your new screen going.

Did you have a backup solution? I'd say a 7 year old computer would be at the borderline of a complete disk failure too.

Yeah, he mentioned the possible power and disk failure also leading to the decision to start from scratch. Only back-up is everything on that computer is also saved on a shiney new external drive. I know those can crash to, but atleast it's new.

An external drive doesn't die if it doesn't have power. It's actually a very sensible backup solution. I have backed up everything to an external drive and took the drive to work (incase the house burns down).

Data on backups and the such seems to suggest the biggest chance of your external dying is the bearing fluid and motor seizing, and that this can be avoided simply by powering up the drive at least twice a year. One would hope that you don't leave much more than 6 months between backups anyway.

After a few months, everything gets backed up on DVD's too. Again, subject to failure, but atleast it's in several paces most times.

I just got this monitor and love it HOWEVER, when setting the native reolution 1680 x 1050 the desktop real estate is bigger than the actual screen (I have to move my mouse to effectively scroll to either the start menu or to minimize the screen). I have a NVIDIA Geoforce FX 5600 video card and am using the DVI connector. Currently I have the resolution set to 1280 x 1024 to enjoy the real estate without scrolling. What can I do to get the full 1680 x 1050?

Thanks - Denver

Fix your graphic card drivers. This is not a monitor issue. It's up to the computer to know what screen is connected and how to do the pixel mapping.

For completeness sake just whip out the manual and figure out how to do a factory reset on the screen, though it's probably pointless.

the answer was simple (yet frustrating)... use the VGA connector vs the DVI connector... not in any manual... found on some obscure forum...

That's not an answer, it's a workaround. The VGA connector gives you quite a drop in quality since it's a nasty analogue signal. Banding and sharpness are all better over DVI.

I'm still willing to bet it's the graphics card drivers that are causing the problem not identifying the screen correctly. See if you can't get this going without resorting to going back 10 years in LCD technology.

Thanks Garbz... I have plans to build a new system this fall... all will be taken care of then...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back