Dell UltraSharp 2007FP Monitor

NP, yeah they have a bunch of them. We just got those ones on a cancelled order and haven't had to replace them yet. We got 12 for $1K. :thumbup:

I have a Dell 2005FPW UltraSharp and I too am extremely happy with the display. The color has held up well over the years.

Pete please tell me that green tinge in the picture was just you not caring about the colour temperature and not a fluro light in your photo studio....

Pete please tell me that green tinge in the picture was just you not caring about the colour temperature and not a fluro light in your photo studio....

I processed the photo using the new monitor before calibration. But yes... the office does have ceiling mounted fluorescent lights. I turn them off when I do photo editing. In fact, the only room without fluorescent lights is the reception area. Is this a tragic situation?

Nope because you turn them off :)

Fluros are by far the single worst light you can shine on an object in an attempt to identify it's colour.

How about those RGB balanced white ones? Same deal?

Similar but not as bad. The ability to use a light source for colour correction is defined by the CRI where 100 is a perfect black body radiator (the sun, and even standard incandescent and halogen lights), and CRI 0 basically means you have no real idea what the colour will be. Those 6500k balanced engery savers have a CRI of around 70-80 which isn't bad, but is no good for true colour critical work. It is still a heck of a lot better than a standard fluro which is usually in the 40-55 range.

That said it's rather variable. There are sources for standard fluros with high CRI (>90) and colour temperatures around 5000k as cheap as $10-20, but the biggest problem really is that these are often special items not available at local chain stores. Generally if you set your camera to daylight, and take a photo under a light, and the photo is a sickly green (many fluros) expect it to be crap for colour work.

Ideally we'd be using Metal Halide Lamps but they are $60 or so and have an insane power consumption. But they are pretty much as good as it gets with 6500k and a 90+ CRI

Nice info. :thumbup: Thanks man!

I recently purchased a Dell UltraSharp 2007FP 20-inch Flat Panel Monitor and couldn't be happier.

I was looking for the same thing everyone else does... the most for the money.

It's a fairly bright monitor and VERY sharp. Until now, I've used a CRT to do all photo editing. This flat panel does not disappoint.

Since this 20-inch is not a wide-screen monitor, it provides a full 12 inches of vertical display.

Dell assures me that monitor uses a IPS panel. It's affordable too. I added a speaker bar to hear system sounds, and a digital video card. The whole thing delivered was $503.00.

I'm one happy photographer!

-Pete

Pete, does this review stand the test of time? Would you still buy this one? I'm about to buy a Mac Pro and need 2 monitors, but don't think I can afford 2 NEC series 90's. How do you calibrate your Dells? I had heard that they don't all have IPS panels -- true or false?

Ian

Pete, does this review stand the test of time? Would you still buy this one?

Hi, Ian.

Yup. So far, so good. I'm still pleased with it's performance. Also, I remember they warranty this for 3 years. I'm told if just one pixel goes, they will replace the monitor.

How do you calibrate your Dells?

I used a Macbeth Eye-One. But you've brought up a good point. The way the Eye-One works, I had to use an auto feature because I couldn't access some controls on the monitor. I can't remember which ones.... maybe contrast? I'll have to get back to you on this.

I had heard that they don't all have IPS panels -- true or false?

I have no way of telling. I called Dell and spoke with them about this concern. The rep did own up to this story as far as some consumer level laptops. He said there was one back-to-school season that was so busy, they couldn't get enough IPS panels and had to make a decision. But he did assure me that would never happen with their business line of monitors and mine in fact was an IPS panel.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Dell Ultrasharp 2408 24" display

Dostrya4.jpg

Dostya9.jpg

Most reactions

Back