Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

I've been looking for an affordable option for a camera stand, quite simply put I got tired of tripping over tripod legs and frustrated with having to adjust three legs for height.

It is not pretty but it is SOLID. The largest load it will see is ~5# and it's not a big deal to adjust for height by hand but I do plan on adding a counterweight.

B&H for $320 plus $70 to get it to Canada. Delta 1 CS6 Jr Camera Stand 6' 00902 B&H Photo Video

The next stand up is the Arkay 6JR-6 Mono Stand Jr @ $600 plus shipping. Arkay 6JR-6 Mono Stand Jr 602421 B&H Photo Video

I was informed before I picked it up that there was some damage to the carton. The legs were wrapped nicely in bubble wrap but there was no other packaging inside the box and the legs tried to escape :)

Shippingcarton.jpg

The stand weights in at 36# and is constructed of 2" square 1/8" thick steel, of course there was no damage.

Legsinbubblewrap.jpg

It is soon apparent that the manufacturer cut corners by not grinding any of the welds. And I'm fine with that if it keeps the price down !

Welddetails.jpg

The legs are attached to the upright with two 3/8" bolts. The holes didn't quite match up but it was quick work with a drill and steel bit to make an adjustment.

Legsdetail.jpg

For comparison purposes this is my smaller Velbon tripod alongside the camera stand.

Camerastandvstripod.jpg

Camera stand with my existing Velbon ball head and E-3/14-35 mm in portrait orientation.

Camerastand.jpg

Closer view from the working end..

Portraitback.jpg

The 2" locking casters are a bit awkward to get at but I found with my smooth floor and shooting tethered the stand is heavy enough to stay put without locking.

There was only 3/16" of threaded rod to mount the ball head but it does seem to be sufficient. The footprint is 32" and the sliding arm is 22".

All in all I'm quite pleased and looking forward to a more efficient and less frustrating work flow.

Cheers, Don

In the studio a camera stand beats a tripod by a mile, for the very reasons you mention.

That's beautiful, and a great price too. I could really use something like that with all the studio stuff I prefer to do. I may have to either splurge or visit the local scrap yard and fire up the welder... :wink:

Nice! At that price, it would barely pay to make your own.

My thoughts exactly ! I am fortunate to have a couple of friends with the equipment but I'd probably spend just about that value in time on the grinding and paint job :)

And then owe favors for the welding, he, he..

In the studio a camera stand beats a tripod by a mile, for the very reasons you mention.

Oddly enough I "thought" so but why, oh why, did I wait years to purchase one, sigh...

That's beautiful, and a great price too. I could really use something like that with all the studio stuff I prefer to do. I may have to either splurge or visit the local scrap yard and fire up the welder... :wink:

I do think it would be a fun project but unfortunately I'm a little behind on some woodworking projects. I'll just have to make due with installing a counterweight :)

Construction wise it couldn't be simpler... Two sizes of steel, casters and some nuts and bolts.

Cheers, Don

Do ya think it's sturdy enough, Don???

Definitely....

After all we are talking 2" x 2" x 1/8" wall steel.

If I stand on one leg and push on the center column I can flex the bolted joint a teeny tiny bit :)

No where near enough to consider having it welded and you never know, I might want to disassemble it at some point.

One leg has to be ~ ten inches off the ground before it starts to tip over, the wrong way.

I would imagine a force that strong would simply have the stand skittering away on it's casters and you would hurt yourself bad enough you would not do that again :)

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back