Depressive Artwork

shellenstein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First foto from album depressive artwork

I like it, a lot. I like depressive and dark pictures generally. It´s nice.

i can see how it's dark and 'depressive', or how you tried to make it that way, but this shot does absolutely nothing for me. i think it's a mixture of the on camera flash, blown highlights, and odd contrast that just kinda annoy me. i'd critique more on the lighting and such but i really don't know how 'full' you were trying to make this or if this is pretty much what you were going for as far as lighting and such goes...

if this photo is one thing it is not boring!
It tells a story. It is blown out and a bit grainy but it all ads to the story....
i love it man, a really emotive photo.

Elliott

i like it too, i think some of the people on here have forgotten that theres an artistic side to photography, not just blunt technical stuff. but look at the guy, it makes you think and wonder... is he in jail? what are his surroundings? if it does anything, this picture does tell a story.

i like it too, i think some of the people on here have forgotten that theres an artistic side to photography, not just blunt technical stuff. but look at the guy, it makes you think and wonder... is he in jail? what are his surroundings? if it does anything, this picture does tell a story.

hahahah

niiice. :)

i honestly think the composition and expression especially of the subject are great, and i do agree that you can see alot in his face - anguish almost.

i just think that there are some (actually several) methods that could have been used to not only make the photo look much more dramatic but also get the point across more. IMO not realizing how the technical aspects of photography are [quite often] directly related to its aesthetics is worse than seeming overly technical.

also...you might want to scroll up a little bit and see where you are in the forum. this just so happens to be in the 'Photo Critique' section. which, as far as i remember, is for critiques...(?)

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51800

i like it too, i think some of the people on here have forgotten that theres an artistic side to photography, not just blunt technical stuff.

+1

I like the tones of this "print." Is this digital or film?
I think the contrast may be a tad high, and this is coming from someone who likes high contrast. It is a very emotive piece. Is this a single photo or part of a larger body of work? If it is part of a body, Id' be very interested in seeing the rest of it.

some people also don't seem to care that there is a technical side that really does take your work to another level . . . having both the expression and the exposure is what your after, not just one or the other.

i agree with daniel about this. there is so little detail in it.

efergoh . . . what tones are you talking about? that looks like overprocessing or posterization to me, it looks like there are 3 tones, white black and grey.

efergoh . . . what tones are you talking about? that looks like overprocessing or posterization to me, it looks like there are 3 tones, white black and grey.

Well, I'm now looking at this again on a different monitor, and it doesn't have the same tones...but earlier this morning when i posted this, there were more browns. It wasn't simple shades of gray. It looked like a lith print on the other monitor. I agree with the lack of detail comments. I think this would be solved with less contrast, since not only are the highlights blown, but the shadows are blocked as well...but then again. that may very well have been the aim of the image creator.

A technically perfect print does not mean that it is "good." Technical imperfection does not mean that it is "bad."

"
A technically perfect print does not mean that it is "good." Technical imperfection does not mean that it is "bad."

"
-efergoh

correct!

but in this case i think we can agree its bad

"

"
-efergoh

correct!

but in this case i think we can agree its bad

well...it needs work. But I think it has potential.

Is there a reason why your making depressive artwork?

Most reactions

Back