Depth of field?

DanielleZuni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in a high school class and our teacher asked us to take a photo with depth of field, where only the subject is in focus and the rest is blurry...any ideas that could help me? Examples of what I could do would help too. Thanks.

I'm in a high school class and our teacher asked us to take a photo with depth of field, where only the subject is in focus and the rest is blurry...any ideas that could help me?

Step back, zoom in, open up your aperture (lower f/number).

Here's an example pets are always good subjects and usually earn brownie points,well with my teacher at least.

4422569863_f25f883271.jpg

Everyshot has a DOF. What you are looking for is a shallow DOF.

Don't get mixed up with bokeh and dof, if you look at the shot of my partner you will see bokeh in the top right hand side (white circles)

find a isolated, freestanding object, but with some distance from background objects. stand/crouch near to it and focus on it. use a wide aperture (f3.5/2.8/1.8 etc).

IMO shallow DOF looks best with a repeating pattern or subject (i.e. the over done line of crayons shot)

DScience posted a nice example as well.

p!nK

It all depends on how you want to show your shallow DoF.

You can have the foreground out of focus.....
806545616_euASV-XL.jpg

You can have the background out of focus.....​
692309040_xCWvo-XL.jpg

Or you could go somewhere in between.....​
621382786_SACYZ-XL.jpg

Hope this helps.​

Example of Shadow Depth of Field (DoF)
Macro insect shot.

It is a nymph of Zelus luridus (about 1/4 inch in size) walking on my mailbox.
Look at the texture of the mailbox (where the insect stand), you will see how shadow the DoF is.

3978515375_3cc716816d_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back