Design Flaw in the D3100

NewGuy12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys.

My buddy got a D3100 and I got a D5100. He is VERY careful with his camera as am I. He has not dropped it, spilled anything on it, or done anything to damage it. All that said, yesterday, he started getting this error.

"error press shutter release button again"

We Google searched this error and found a plethora of posts on various websites and forums concerning this issue. A Nikon representative actually posted that "This is a design flaw in the D3100 and D5100". This has me very concerned. Apparently, it has to be completely dismantled and the shutter and shutter motors replaced. From everything we have read, it takes months to get it back sometimes as they have to wait for parts.

I called Best Buy where we purchased these and they said that we can bring them back for a full refund tomorrow. So my question is, should we just upgrade? Change to Canon? I absolutely love this Nikon but if it's a "Known Design Flaw", I don't want to risk going over the 30 days at Best buy from purchase and being stuck with a malfunctioning camera and lengthy and expensive repair.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How many is a "Plethora"? There have probably been hundreds of thousands of those cameras sold, so what percentage is a "Plethora" of, say, a hundred thousand? Very seldom does anyone post on a forum that they haven't had any problems with a camera, the only posts are from people who have.

It's your call and entirely up to you, but personally I don't worry about things like that too much. If it breaks early (ALL cameras will break sooner or later) then I was one of the unlucky ones, and I'll just cuss a while and get it fixed. It could happen to any camera by any manufacturer.

If you love the way Nikon feels, I'd simply upgrade if you are that worried about it.
I have been in the forums since long before those two cameras came out and I've never heard this one before. I don't think it's nearly as dominant as you think. I'd certainly return the one that is acting up!

So Nikon's cheapest d-slr has broken down? Amazing! And to think, it's a horrible design flaw that plagues millions of users! But I've never heard about it. I wonder if the "Nikon representative" works for Best Buy... lol. Yes, definitely, switch to Canon. All of their camera work awesome! Except for the two pages worth of recalled models.

If you dont have problems, dont worry about it. For your friend, if he likes that model have him try another. If he gets the same problem (highly unlikely) then maybe its time to look at another model, or even brand.

So Nikon's cheapest d-slr has broken down? Amazing! And to think, it's a horrible design flaw that plagues millions of users! But I've never heard about it. I wonder if the "Nikon representative" works for Best Buy... lol. Yes, definitely, switch to Canon. All of their camera work awesome! Except for the two pages worth of recalled models.

Millions of users? <Scratches Head>

To site one source as I don't feel like going back and doing a copy and paste party. Error press shutter release button

I would expect that even the "Cheapest Model of a DSLR" costing $500, wouldn't break in 10 days. Shouldn't a product that you or I purchase and spend $500 work past the 10 day mark? Is that too much to ask? If you have never heard of this issue, just google that error. The Google Gods will give you more results than you care to read. As for the Nikon Rep, maybe he/she does work at Best Buy. Although the reviews on these cameras on their website are mostly good and I can not find any complaints on this error on the Best Buy website.

If you dont have problems, dont worry about it. For your friend, if he likes that model have him try another. If he gets the same problem (highly unlikely) then maybe its time to look at another model, or even brand.

My friend is returning his tomorrow. Not sure if he is going to upgrade or switch brands. I guess I won't worry about it unless I start getting the same error. I'm not very sure what I will do if it happens to mine as well.

I wouldn't switch brands over it. Its an electronic device - they are bound to have a few issues from time to time. Thousands of these items are produced daily and if they never had any flaws I would start shipping them everything in my power to produce from a business standpoint. I've never heard of this issue personally, and no matter what you pick up from Canon - chances are there will be issues with those bodies as well. Canon has had a number of recalls lately with the most resent high profile of a light leak in the brand new $3,300 5D mk III. Dont worry though - they fixed it. With a piece of tape. And the T4i's have been recalled as the rubber grips have been causing allergic reactions with some users.

Then again Nikon has a big issue with the $3,000 D800 being out of focus.

Screw it. Go for a Leica.

Go for the Alfa Romeo of digital cameras...The Fuji X-Pro 1

Millions of users? <Scratches Head>

To site one source as I don't feel like going back and doing a copy and paste party. Error press shutter release button

I would expect that even the "Cheapest Model of a DSLR" costing $500, wouldn't break in 10 days. Shouldn't a product that you or I purchase and spend $500 work past the 10 day mark? Is that too much to ask? If you have never heard of this issue, just google that error. The Google Gods will give you more results than you care to read. As for the Nikon Rep, maybe he/she does work at Best Buy. Although the reviews on these cameras on their website are mostly good and I can not find any complaints on this error on the Best Buy website.

Google results doesn't give millions! maybe a dozen here and a dozen there. And the He said She said hand me down info. And non-verified non-design issues that people assign to it because it is malfunctioning or broke down. And many times they go into multiple forums posting multiple times falsely inflating the situation.

And Do you really Believe that every 100,000 copies made of something there wont be 100-1000 with varying degrees of manufacturing issues? The price is irrelevant. I've kept eyes peeled on all camera equipment last 5 years. And if there was design flaw in camera body I would have heard about it. Now a particular run may have a higher numbers of flawed manufacturing processes and now and again a batch will make it out into the wild. But that Goes For Anything manufactured.

I guess if I buy a $25,000 Car or $3000 Plasma TV and it breaks down in 10 days. Must Be a Design problem? Nope As I can find same kind of complaints on google people with little knowledge starting to make dubious statements of facts of everything from Cars to TV's.

Or those Great One's "This Model or that Brand is a Piece of Junk!" based on their One Copy that failed on them.

Sorry there would been a huge well advertised outcry in the Photo News and forums out there if there was a design flaw in the D3100 and I would have heard about it. Sounds more like a batch of cameras that made it thru QA when they probably shouldn't have.

ALL products will have freak things that can happen

I bought a nikon flash and after one photo shoot it refuses to fire

I brought it back to the store and they sent it in for warranty repairs, they couldnt figure out what was wrong and i got a new one

I still have the flash and it works find

My point is issues happen. The important thing is how nikon handles it if it does

I've read in several forums that some Nikon's sent in for repairs get oil stains on them from the the guys at Nikon that fix it. Owners call back complaining, yet Nikon blames it on them and shrugs it off.

I'd go with Canon. Why?

-customer service
-L series lenses
-most entree level DSLR's and some pro are compatible with Magic Lantern firmware (Google if unfamiliar, it's amazing)
-professional DSLR's weather sealing
-I believe that they are ahead of the game compared to all other camera brands, both in HD video and photography (as well as everything else I mentioned above)

For those talking about Leica, I've never owned one and probably never will. I'm a Canon fanatic other than Nikon's compact cameras

Sounds like it's definitely time to switch to Canon. I'd suggest a nice camera like a Digital Rebel. Those are rock-solid. None have ever broken down that I am aware of.

I've read in several forums that some Nikon's sent in for repairs get oil stains on them from the the guys at Nikon that fix it. Owners call back complaining, yet Nikon blames it on them and shrugs it off.

I'd go with Canon. Why?

-customer service
-L series lenses
-most entree level DSLR's and some pro are compatible with Magic Lantern firmware (Google if unfamiliar, it's amazing)
-professional DSLR's weather sealing
-I believe that they are ahead of the game compared to all other camera brands, both in HD video and photography (as well as everything else I mentioned above)

For those talking about Leica, I've never owned one and probably never will. I'm a Canon fanatic other than Nikon's compact cameras

sounds like you know more than me... youre probably right the "weather sealing" on my nikon d700 is no where close to what canon offers as standard

I think that this thread got a little blown out of proportion. I can't tell if Derrel is being sarcastic again or if he's being sincere about the Canon Rebel. I was simply asking for advice. I wasn't coming at this from a "The sky is falling apocalyptic point of view. Just started this thread because I am brand new when it comes to photography and I'm not made of money. So when I spend my hard earned cash on a camera one step up from the one my friend bought, and his dies 10 days after purchase, of course if causes me alarm when I find that my model has had some of the same issues. Regardless of how many people actually had the issue. 1 out of a thousand or 1 out of 100,000. It's human nature to be concerned. That's why I started this thread and asked for advice. I didn't expect to have my words twisted and replied to with smart ass comments.

And to answer SCraig, a plethora means a lot. A lot to me are multiple pages on a search term on Google.

I will be more careful in the future when posting as to not insight shrewd sarcasm. Please forgive me for asking "What should I do."

Most reactions

Back