Design my studio

mikemizza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted another thread a few days ago, but to further figure out my quandary, I wanted to include pictures this time. I take photos of high end furniture. For most pieces, I knock out the background in PS and just have the piece on a white background for catalogs and such. I need to capture the richness of the wood-grains and of course the colors as accurately as possible.
As you can see in the pictures, there are sets of track lights above at about 10 ft off the ground. There are also two umbrellas that I can move around and can set from about 2 ft to 6 ft heights. Finally, there are fluorescent lights far above at about 20 ft. The walls are painted eggshell white.

Lately, I've been keeping the track lights off and not using a flash. Using a 5 to 7 sec shutter speed and have had good luck when the shots are semi-close up(1-4 ft.) however, when I have to shoot a 10 ft table or an entertainment center, this plan doesn't work out so well. When I put on all the extra lights though, I get glares like crazy.

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-R1 10.3 MP with a Sony 67mm polarizing lens and extra attached flash.
Now it's your turn. What would you do if you had a few bucks to improve this studio's performance.

Thanks in advance for all your great feedback!

studio1.jpg

studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg

You need lights you can move around. Invest in some good hot-lights and modifiers.

Your problem with reflections is due to the type of reflections different types of surfaces give. If you have a reflection, you need to move your light out of the family of angles that cause that reflection. I would seriously look at a book called Light: Science & Magic. It will explain all of this very well. Also, like Chunk (do the truffle shuffle) above me said, you need lights you can move.

Most reactions

Back