desperately need help with 'shine'

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:heart: Hi all, Was hoping (desperately!) that you might be able to shed some light on this shine that appears on many of my closeups... has only been apparent since using my newish canon 350D. Looks like glittery-sweat but my little models do not appear sweaty when i shoot.... I have included this shot as it is a prime example of what im talking about..... Please help... i'm sure it's simple, but it's driving me CRAZY:grumpy: !!!! xx Thanks in advance xx

IMG_0570.jpg

Seems like it is too much direct flash to me...but I am still a newbie. Try the same shot, but bounce or diffuse the flash somehow.

I also think it is the impact of the on-camera flash going with the fact that baby faces usually have some sort of creme applied to it, and that is what is shining and glittering here.
You might want to try and take your portraits with natural light only, or diffuse your flash somehow ... to cut open a film roll container (not a black one, an opaque one!) and put that over your flash - it is said to diffuse the light nicely.

yep definately looks like the on-camera flash. You can take care of that in a very simple and cheap way...take a piece of paper and hold it in front of your flash when you take the photo..the paper works as a diffuser so that the light is not so harsh on skin and allows a more natural skin color.

I'm not familiar with Canon setup menus but I'll throw this out there. Other brand cameras have an adjustment in the menu to control the intensity of the flash. does your camera? Maybe?

Blot the kids skin or apply makeup.. just kidding. Natural light rather than flash again.

FEC, Flash Exposure Compensation. I think the 350D has this adjustment. Try dialing it down a few steps.

As others mentioned, direct flash (especially from a small built-in flash) will cause this. If you can diffuse the flash in some what, that will help. A piece of thin paper or a tissue will work. Do you have any opaque 35mm film canisters? you can cut a slot in one and slide it over the flash for a cheap diffuser.

Better yet, get an accessory hot-shoe flash that will allow you to bounce the light. Just about every indoor shot I take with flash, I bounce the light...off of the ceiling, the wall or anything I can use...it's almost always better than pointing the flash directly at a person.

THanks guys.... you were as always most helpful.... just shot a few baby portraits ( posted) using a bit of paper folded over the on board flash and was most happy weith the results xxxxxxx you guys rock xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just a hint. I can tell how it was lit by looking at the reflection in the eyes. As mentioned by others, baby's are little soft creatures and the lighting needs to be soft [generally speaking]. Use a softer lighting technique. Maybe soft light coming through a window. Experiment, that's what photography is about. Philip

Skin naturally has a shine due to oils secreted - particularly on noses and foreheads. It's always a problem for portraits no matter how you light.
Best thing is to wipe the shiny bits with a chamois leather just before the shot. Takes a lot of the grease off and dulls things down. An old powder puff with some talcum used sparingly can also help. Then if you use a bounce flash you should kill all the shine.

Some great advise offered above.
I was taught to use the tele side of the lens for portraits. meaning you would have to stand back a few more feet. This would lessen the harsh "up close" flash and the "flash in the eyes" would not show either as much.
Since the tele side has a higher f number the image would be a tad bit darker to help hide blemishes and such and show a more true skin tone/color.
The draw back is a longer shutter speed, but with the flash on, it is not so long that camera shake would show.

Hertz van Rental said:
Skin naturally has a shine due to oils secreted - particularly on noses and foreheads. It's always a problem for portraits no matter how you light.
Best thing is to wipe the shiny bits with a chamois leather just before the shot. Takes a lot of the grease off and dulls things down. An old powder puff with some talcum used sparingly can also help. Then if you use a bounce flash you should kill all the shine.

And if that doesn't work, Photoshops healing tool will nix it.:wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back