Destination Weddings

CdTSnap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey people,

Wedding Photographer from New Zealand here, I'm looking at flying over to California and other states to explore some of the amazing national parks.

Couple of questions, I want to get a wedding or 2 while i'm over there, potentially just get the couple to pay for a little travel and ill shoot it for free. My usual fee would far out-way any travel costs incurred so would be an amazing deal for the couple also, Is this often seen in USA?

Any ideas or groups anyone knows of where I could put the offer out?

Chris

seems backwards...

the price is the price. i dont think a couple will care if they are technically paying for your travel or services -- just that they are paying $x.xx for you to be there and perform services.

I think the logistics of this will be difficult -- unless you're planning your travels and just happen to find a couple that is willing to "hire" you within your travel window.

the price is the price. i dont think a couple will care if they are technically paying for your travel or services -- just that they are paying $x.xx for you to be there and perform services.

I think the logistics of this will be difficult -- unless you're planning your travels and just happen to find a couple that is willing to "hire" you within your travel window.

Maybe difficult is the word then not backwards?

I can come whenever, all I would do is plan my adventure around their date. Doesn't seem that difficult? Unless I'm missing something. But I travel all over my country and to Australia for weddings quite often without hassle. The only difference this time is it's further

It'd probably be pretty difficult. Also, where do you want to visit and what do you want to see? Do you want to see springtime flowers, fall foliage, snow-covered fields? Depending on where you're gong, how long you're staying, and what you want to see, it may not be practical.

This is just me personally, but I don't like working on vacation.

It'd probably be pretty difficult. Also, where do you want to visit and what do you want to see? Do you want to see springtime flowers, fall foliage, snow-covered fields? Depending on where you're gong, how long you're staying, and what you want to see, it may not be practical.

This is just me personally, but I don't like working on vacation.

I don't care when I just want to explore, possibly im a little different to most haha I'll find my photo any time of year

And as far as working l, to be honest if I was a rich man I would travel and do weddings for free, I love it. I don't really see it as work.

Sounds good.

Hope it works out!

If I were going to CA, the first place I would want to go is @Gary A. 's house for some of his homemade bread, barbecue, and wine. Watch sports on his backyard drive in, and get his dog all riled up.

I find it only works if you know people who can spread word-of-mouth. Really hard to do a targeted ad campaign that will work, or at least have a semi-reasonable ROI. You'd have to target the region, then hope that you magically get a client or two within the couple week period you are there. Not saying it couldn't happen, but you'd shell out a lot for advertising costs and potentially not book anything.

Looks like I might have a couple now. Fingers crossed. I just done a family portrait for a lady that was in NZ on holiday from California lol. Meant to be. She passed my name on to a couple. Not confirmed yet but here's hoping

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I hope that works out for you. Another option might be to 2nd shoot one or two weddings during your stay and use that money to pay for some of your trip. That way you can just hand over your memory card and get back to your trip without having to worry about booking, editing and sales.

I hope that works out for you. Another option might be to 2nd shoot one or two weddings during your stay and use that money to pay for some of your trip. That way you can just hand over your memory card and get back to your trip without having to worry about booking, editing and sales.

Yeah could do. But I edit super fast so it's not really a problem :) although I do like the idea

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

California has around 38.9 million citizens that we know about, according to the US Census Bureau's last official total. California has a larger economy than MOST of the countries in the entire world. It is a very populous state in these United States. The cost of living there in the major cities is quite high. The weather is good, and it has a long,long coastline. I would emphasize your outdoor/beach photo skill set. But the issue is you're from a very far-away land. And it is now 2017, not 2004. I've heard stories and anecdotes and accountings of several photographers that DID what it is that you want to do, but those accounts were all pre- iPhone 4. Personal belief: the way the majority, the vast majority, think about photos, and use photos, and share photos of real people and regular events has changed markedly since then. I think you are behind the curve on this project, ands yet, you might be successful at pulling it off. I would never say never to your idea. Never. But still...2017...

Weddings are now very widely, being shot with engagement and save-the-date sesions beforehand...that has become something that "ties" the couple to one another and to their photographer a bit more than the old method I am familiar with. I dunno...like I mentioned, 38.9 million people...but...flying in a photographer and paying his way to come shoot the wedding...I suppose that would appeal to a sub-set of people, but that entails a LOT of pre-trip communication. Skype calls, consultations, contracts, etc.. and it still does not get the couple their engagement or save the date sessions...

Most reactions

Back