Developing 8mm movie film

thanks for the info, helen. i haven't used that tank for movies. i've only done still photography. kind of a bummer that it won't work properly. those russian tanks seem to be hard to find.

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing that you haven't used that tank to develop Standard 8 film - it won't hold a full spool of film - you would have to cut it into about six sections to get it onto the developing reel. There are quite a few tanks that have reels that will take short lengths of 16 mm film, but few that will take long enough lengths.

The film is indeed 16 mm wide (you only had to read this thread to find that out!) but it is about 33 ft long - 25 ft plus leaders. It's all explained in post #5 above. You need a tank that will hold 33 ft of film if you want to use a tank. There are Russian spiral tanks that hold that length, and there are Morse/Doran rewind tanks that will hold 100 ft of anything from 8 mm to 35 mm, but the processing quality isn't generally as good with a rewind tank as it is with a spiral tank. I've used both.

Best,
Helen

I had also looked for reasonable Super 8 film developing. I had looked at over a dozen sites, including this forum. I was disappointed as it looked like it was going to cost $45.00 or more for one roll. I saw some of the other companies, like one in the Rocky Mountains, that were all $45.00 and up.

Fortunately, I was able to find a place that is VERY INEXPENSIVE. FIFTEEN Dollars ($15.00) for a roll of Super 8 Tri-X, plus the return shipping cost for under 1 lb with Fedex. They are PRO8MM, located in Burbank, CA.

Duhh, they mostly do LARGE and small scale "Hollywood" productions. This is their business, developing MOVIE FILM, for studios. Thus they run large volumes ever day. Doing single rolls or small groups of personal MOVIE FILM, like Super 8, is a breeze for them.

They said that even for a single roll, non industry/studio, turn around is 24 hours.

I have had this old roll of B&W for about 15 years. I have moved twice and taken it with me. For the last year and a half it has been sitting on the far corner of my desk. I finally decided to look "again" and hoped I'd finally find a reasonable place to get it developed. Yahoo - Eureka, AT LAST I have found a place. I live in Santa Monica, so it is just over the hill, and I could even drop it off and pick it up the next day. If it is there before 10:30 AM you can pick it up later that day.

With some searching, many different times/dates, and some effort, the internet has paid off again.

PRO8MM has many other MOVIE and FILM types that they process. I found the rates for Super 8 developing on page 7 of their PDF online brochure.

Hope this helps some others save some money, big time. Now at least my roll will no longer be collecting dust on the corner of my desk. I kind of remember what is on the roll. After 15 years or so it will ge great to see the whole experience that is on it.:D

Kurt

Hey everyone!

I'm new here but am very happy to have found this forum and thread! I'm having some confusion with 8mm film. Here is what is going on.

I have a 1960's Kodak Brownie Fun Saver Movie Camera accompanied with a 60's Brownie 8 Projector that projects normal 8mm films (NOT SUPER 8) I want to shoot some video with the movie camera which asks for normal 8mm film but the size of the film that is supposed to go into the camera looks like 16mm. I know 16mm does not go in there, so is 8mm the size of 16 before it gets developed? :confused:

Also, I apparently need normal 8mm not super 8mm because the projector will not play super 8 films correctly. Everywhere I look only Super 8mm is available, is it impossible to find normal 8mm now?

The movie camera also asks for a "Roll of 8mm" and not a cartridge, I called Kodak to ask if it took a certain type of 8mm and they said "nothing, but a normal roll of 8mm film".

So my main questions are:
Is it still possible to purchase NORMAL 8mm movie film and not Super 8?
Is 8mm movie film big before it's developed?
Still possible to get it in "roll" form?
Does anyone know where I can purchase it?

Thanks for all the input/advice in advance! I just want to buy some film and shoot some movies!!! LOL Thanks again everyone! :mrgreen:

Hey everyone!

I'm new here but am very happy to have found this forum and thread! I'm having some confusion with 8mm film. Here is what is going on.

I have a 1960's Kodak Brownie Fun Saver Movie Camera accompanied with a 60's Brownie 8 Projector that projects normal 8mm films (NOT SUPER 8) I want to shoot some video with the movie camera which asks for normal 8mm film but the size of the film that is supposed to go into the camera looks like 16mm. I know 16mm does not go in there, so is 8mm the size of 16 before it gets developed? :confused:

It's called Double 8. You shoot it once through, exposing one half of it
then flip it over and shoot it again, exposing the other half. The Double 8
format came after the Single 8 format and before the Super 8 formats.

More info on the different 8mm formats here:
8mm Film Gauges

Since you are located in SoCal I recommend you contact these folks:
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/

They are a friendly and helpful group that can answer your questions.

You might want to consider moving to Super 8 format. Film stock and
processing services and related equipment are much easier to find and
use and will produce better results too. Basic Super 8 cameras can be
purchased for very little money these days and you will have a much
easier time of it.

Last edited:
It's called Double 8. You shoot it once through, exposing one half of it
then flip it over and shoot it again, exposing the other half. The Double 8
format came after the Single 8 format and before the Super 8 formats.

More info on the different 8mm formats here:
8mm Film Gauges

Since you are located in SoCal I recommend you contact these folks:
Echo Park Film Center

They are a friendly and helpful group that can answer your questions.

You might want to consider moving to Super 8 format. Film stock and
processing services and related equipment are much easier to find and
use and will produce better results too. Basic Super 8 cameras can be
purchased for very little money these days and you will have a much
easier time of it.

Thanks for the reply!

I will defiantly call them and see what's up thanks for the link, I understand everything now! :)

The thing is, the movie camera and projector I inherited from my aunt and I would really like to shoot some movies with that specific camera. My goal is, since we have movies of my family back in the 60's on normal 8mm I want to have movies of them at the age they are using the very same camera and projector used to film/show them as young.

The only thing stopping me is SUPER 8 FILM :grumpy: LOL So my new task is to find double 8 and have it developed to be used on the projector. Thanks again for the information!

I have a question that is sort of off topic. I want to try filming with 8mm film and developing myself at home, but I was wondering what is the best way to get it onto a computer if you wanted to, or is that not worth the trouble

If you are shooting reversal then the best way is to buy one of these units.

moviestuff entry page

If you are shooting negative then have the lab transfer it when they process.

Double 8mm has been found!

After calling up some place in Chicago and being told that no one makes it any more and that I wouldn't find any one who would/could develop it either I was given a number by "Rocky Mountain Film Laboratory" in Colorado of a man named "John" who sells double 8mm film.

His number is (707)-678-2942 and he sells B/W 25ft rolls at $10.00 and Color rolls at $20 with four dollars shipping, he's located in Placerville, California.

He does not develop the film but when you purchase film you get a list of places that do. I'm so happy to have found it! Thanks for all the help on here. I wanted to post this in case anyone needs Double 8 as well.

Double 8mm has been found!

After calling up some place in Chicago and being told that no one makes it any more and that I wouldn't find any one who would/could develop it either I was given a number by "Rocky Mountain Film Laboratory" in Colorado of a man named "John" who sells double 8mm film.

His number is (707)-678-2942 and he sells B/W 25ft rolls at $10.00 and Color rolls at $20 with four dollars shipping, he's located in Placerville, California.

He does not develop the film but when you purchase film you get a list of places that do. I'm so happy to have found it! Thanks for all the help on here. I wanted to post this in case anyone needs Double 8 as well.

internationalfilm

John Schwind. Great guy! I sent him an order along with a USPS money order. He car got broken into and the MO stolen. He gave me a call offering to fill my order anyway. I told him he did not have to do that because I still had the dupe of the MO. The Post Office refunded my money, he got paid and I got my film.

I understand John is a respooler, i.e., he buys 400 foot spools from Kodak and respools them to 25 and 100 feet. I think he's the only guy in the world who does this, although Kodak supposedly will sell the 400 foot spools to anyone who is will to pay for their minimum order. I think John's profit margin is ridiculously low so he's basically doing 8mm buffs a big favor.

internationalfilm

John Schwind. Great guy! I sent him an order along with a USPS money order. He car got broken into and the MO stolen. He gave me a call offering to fill my order anyway. I told him he did not have to do that because I still had the dupe of the MO. The Post Office refunded my money, he got paid and I got my film.

I understand John is a respooler, i.e., he buys 400 foot spools from Kodak and respools them to 25 and 100 feet. I think he's the only guy in the world who does this, although Kodak supposedly will sell the 400 foot spools to anyone who is will to pay for their minimum order. I think John's profit margin is ridiculously low so he's basically doing 8mm buffs a big favor.

Yeah! wow I'm glad he's known around here and my mistake after looking on his site, he's in Dixon, Ca. the man in Colorado told me he was in Placerville. He sounded like a great guy and I told him many times how grateful I was that he was still producing this film size. If I learned properly I'd like to take up this trade one day, so people like myself would still be able to use their old cameras. John's doing a great thing!

Love to see John Schwind's name being thrown around here. He is a wonderful resource and I hope he is still in business. Another good name to know is Martin Baumgarten and Plattsburg Photographic. He hand develops double 8mm for a very reasonable cost. It has been 5 years since I used these guys services. Please let me know if they are still at it!

Most reactions

Back