Developing film at Wal-Mart

Esher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Wal-Mart will develop film without making prints? I don't want their prints. I want the negatives so I can scan them. I'm trying to save some money on my developing costs.

By the way, I live in a small town in the mountains which means that Wal-Mart is my only option unless I drive an hour.

I was already on the forum and had it on my mind. I thought that someone may know.

I've had just that done here at my walmart before!!! I also have them run onto cd, and make my own prints. So you should be able to do it...but hopefully your walmart employees aren't like the ones here and try to charge a different price everytime b/c no one knows what they're doing :confused:

Go to a Ritz Camera location: KITS, Inkleys, Camera World, Cameras West, Wolf Camera. Develope only is 4.50

Contra|Brett| said:
Go to a Ritz Camera location: KITS, Inkleys, Camera World, Cameras West, Wolf Camera. Develope only is 4.50

I could go to Wolf Camera but it is 1.5 hours from me. I live in a small town in the mountains. I have beautiful views but no photo developers except Wal-Mart.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

What about developing it yourself? All you'd need is the developer tank, some chemicals and a dark place to transfer the film.

You might wreck your first roll or two, but once you get the hang of it, its easier and can even be cheaper.

Walmart here charges only $3 or $3.50 cdn for developing 24 exposures. I think its $3 or $4 for a picture cd, but the quality really sucks and its not even 2mp.

GerryDavid said:
I think its $3 or $4 for a picture cd, but the quality really sucks and its not even 2mp.

I agree on that, I thought I would do it at work, just to have a play.. and i got the photos home... and uhh.. I wouldn't touch a picture cd again with a 10 foot pole!

Very pixely, grainy, yucky pics.

Apperantly a picture cd can turn out good if the operator knows what thier doing, but most are min wage workers that are just there for the paycheck. If you find someone that knows how to use the machine properly, and doesnt mind boosting the resolution to pro sizes, it would be worth it. Ive heard of some that work at costco doing this, after the worker asked the maintenance guy *that knows how to use the machine, that comes in time to time* how to use the machine properly.

Its probably just easier to get a negative scanner, or better yet, get a job at a place that has a huge drum scanner, thats very professional and see if you can use it offhours. :0)

For the most part the systems that are in Costco and Wallmart scan on 4base that is 300dpi at 4x6. The machines are capable of a 16base scan equal to an 8x12 and 300dpi. Blacks have just started the 16base service as an upgrade that includes gold CDs for longer archive life.

Eric

Most reactions

New Topics

Back