Developing film

Shrimpy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a bit, well actually very confused about the process of developing film at home. It's something I'd like to try, but I'm having trouble understanding the whole process. I've read up on the actual process of developing the negatives, but how do you turn the negatives into full sized pictures?

If somebody could direct me towards a detailed guide for B&W developing and Color, it would be greatly appreciated :D

Basically, an enlarger is a type of projector which projects the image from the negative onto sensitized paper (along the lines of a slide projector). You then develop the paper. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlarger

Some people get their negatives digitally scanned and then print them on a digital printer.

Thanks for the reply!

So the enlarger basically makes a giant negative, which you then submerge in the chemical bath?

I would think that in the long run it would be cheaper for you to purchase a negative scanner and a good/great printer

I would think that in the long run it would be cheaper for you to purchase a negative scanner and a good/great printer

So I'm assuming the negative scanner automatically converts it into color or B&W?

And also is the process the same for both B&W film and color film, aside from chemicals used?

Sorry for all the questions! :lol:

Thanks for the reply!

So the enlarger basically makes a giant negative, which you then submerge in the chemical bath?

Well, the enlarger inverts the image -- turning the negative into a positive on photosensitive paper -- which you then put in the chemical bath.

Cheaper, maybe (although a high-quality negative scanner can be quite pricey), but some people really enjoy the darkroom side of photography. I certainly do, but have no place or time to do it anymore. At least with photoshop, I can sit socially with my family as I work.

Cheaper, maybe (although a high-quality negative scanner can be quite pricey), but some people really enjoy the darkroom side of photography. I certainly do, but have no place or time to do it anymore. At least with photoshop, I can sit socially with my family as I work.

Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the enlarger method vs. the scanner method?

Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the enlarger method vs. the scanner method?

I better leave this one to the more erudite among us ...

And also is the process the same for both B&W film and color film, aside from chemicals used?

Not really. Processes are similar for colour and B&W but are done at very different temperatures. B&W films are usually developed around 20 celsius whereas developing colour is done at higher temperature. Temperature control is critical (even more so for colour) so it is quite difficult to maintain higher temperatures required for colour films without special equipment. Developing a B&W film is fairly straight forward. Here is an example of how it is done (Google for other links).

So I'm assuming the negative scanner automatically converts it into color or B&W?

Sorry for all the questions! :lol:

I personally don't develop my own film but have a friend that does and he uses a film scanner.
It comes with some software to help you
I'm not to sure if you tell the software that comes with it that the picture is a B&W or color negative
depending on the scanner you could also process 120 film

If you want to understand a little more about the scanners I found this website helpful

http://www.scantips.com/basics13.html

I think you can achieve great results with both methods. Many people think that a B&W scanned negative printed with a printer does not have the same quality as a well printed silver image ('enlarger method'). Moreover, I am not so sure that the scanner/printer method would be cheaper than the enlarger method. To achieve good results with a scanner, you need a good scanner, probably a calibrated monitor and a good printer (consumable such as inks and paper are not that cheap). On the other hand enlargers are dirt cheap at the moment (have a look on eBay).

I think you can achieve great results with both methods. Many people think that a B&W scanned negative printed with a printer does not have the same quality as a well printed silver image ('enlarger method'). Moreover, I am not so sure that the scanner/printer method would be cheaper than the enlarger method. To achieve good results with a scanner, you need a good scanner, probably a calibrated monitor and a good printer (consumable such as inks and paper are not that cheap). On the other hand enlargers are dirt cheap at the moment (have a look on eBay).

Alright, printer/scanner might be the way to go, as I don't really have a space for a darkroom.

Thank you to everyone who replied to this!

I personally love going into the darkroom with 5 enlargers and enough friends to fill them all and develop for hours on end. At school we have everything so we all get together and do this. Get away from the stresses of school and everything. I did a test last year with a negative scanner and a print with a *very* expensive scanner, pro quality on the same negatives. The quality was much better with the print and scanner, I was using ipson paper if this helps.

just an additional item to consider. inkjet black and white prints are not as easy to print out as is color. you will need a high end consumer printer at the least, lots of paper and inks.

learning to print either with traditional means or digital takes time, and in the long run money.

scanning negatives in theory is not hard but as someone else as mentioned you need a very good scanner, software and knowledge to get the most from your negatives.

developing your own negatives is simple and relatively cheap. check out ilford's website for a pdf file that will list everything needed as wsell as a step by step procedure.

color film is a bit tricker than black and white as the temperature color is much more critical but again, many people have worked out a method that maintains the temperature of each step.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back