Developing film

I think you can achieve great results with both methods. Many people think that a B&W scanned negative printed with a printer does not have the same quality as a well printed silver image ('enlarger method'). Moreover, I am not so sure that the scanner/printer method would be cheaper than the enlarger method. To achieve good results with a scanner, you need a good scanner, probably a calibrated monitor and a good printer (consumable such as inks and paper are not that cheap). On the other hand enlargers are dirt cheap at the moment (have a look on eBay).

Even though I was the one who posted that digital would be cheaper after seeing how much it really cost the manual way is the cheaper of the two :blushing:

But the thing is you don't know how much longer they will be producing film developing supplies (but I personally think that will be in 10 maybe 30 hopefully) so I would go with the manual (enlarger method) and try it while you still have the chance cause it seems those who have done it really love the experience and it is a good trait for a photographer to know especially a film photographer.

But the thing is you don't know how much longer they will be producing film developing supplies (but I personally think that will be in 10 maybe 30 hopefully) so I would go with the manual (enlarger method) and try it while you still have the chance cause it seems those who have done it really love the experience and it is a good trait for a photographer to know especially a film photographer.

That's what it is for me, it's photography in its pure form, not just snapping the pictures. I'll have to see if I can get some supplies for cheap!

THere is a film developing procedure thread at the head of this forum. I would sacrifice a test roll to the education gods and run through the whole process a couple of times with water for each stage, just to get the hang where you need to be and when. Another roll for loading practice. Do it like crazy in the light just sitting in the chair and then graduate to doing it with your eyes closed since it has to be done in the dark anywho. Good luck and have fun.

I'm a bit, well actually very confused about the process of developing film at home. It's something I'd like to try, but I'm having trouble understanding the whole process. I've read up on the actual process of developing the negatives, but how do you turn the negatives into full sized pictures?

If somebody could direct me towards a detailed guide for B&W developing and Color, it would be greatly appreciated :D

Its a two part process:

1. Film development

2. Enlargement and Printing.

Film development;
a. load to on spool
b. develope - developer, stop bath, fixer
c. wash film

Printing;
a. load film into enlarger
b. expose paper as required
c. develop paper - developer, stop bath , fix.
d. wash

Most reactions

New Topics

Back