Developing old film

Southbound33

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just found a couple of disposable cameras from 2007. They have been in a foot locker the whole time out of heat and sunlight... will they come out ok?

Yes....No.....Maybe......Possibly. Who knows until you take them in and have them developed.

I just found a couple of disposable cameras from 2007. They have been in a foot locker the whole time out of heat and sunlight... will they come out ok?

Probably grainy, loss of contrast, but discernible images. Color film? Probably some color shift as well. Could be kinda funky. But then again, I shoot with expired film on purpose, so my "funky" might be someone else's "ruined." ;) But color shifts can also be corrected with software post processing, so even if it's not a pleasing shift, it can be worked with.

Develop them and show us what you get!

If it's all the same type of film, and there's quite a bit of it, you can develop one roll at a time and start to characterize it. You can then adjust time, temps and mix ratios to better develop each successive roll of film.

Of course, this is assuming you're developing it yourself. If you're sending it out to a lab, maybe Dwayne's can help you more than the standard labs can.

OMG! This is PURE GOLD! The images will be horribly yellowed and green. They'll look positively awful! And that positively awful look you get from expired film developed with expired chemicals and then left in the sun to get UV damage... that's EXACTLY what everyone wants these days!!!

People will begging to find out how you processed your images. Just tell them "it took years to develop this look." ;-)

I've gotten B&W film out of a camera that had been in there for years and it turned out fine. Color, not so much. But '07's not that old, it should be interesting if nothing else, could do some digital restoration or just enjoy the funk.

This is 16 years out of date Ektar100, so it may be ok

Scan-130607-0001-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back