developing price

I've also heard of people loading/unloading their camera in the dark and not using the cartridge at all. I don't recommend that.

Huh. Never heard of that before. So, what, do they like just have the loose spool of film sitting in the recess where the cassette normally goes? Interesting. With a changing bag, it wouldn't be all that big of a hassle.

About bulk film loaders -- I had a few sitting around, not getting used. The Watson style. So, I put a couple up on eBay. They went for about $10 each. This was a couple years ago. Also, more recently I won on eBay a couple of Yankee-style tanks -- the small ones that have the thermometer on the spinner and with the reels that'll take 35mm and medium format -- the pair, plus a pair of tongs and a tray, went for $14. I like those old Yankee-style tanks. They're what I started off with, and they're what I'm used to.

Anyway, the point is that you should check out used sources like eBay, Craigslist, and local ad-based circulars. Yard sales, even. It can happen. Years ago, I bought a complete B&W darkroom outfit -- Omega XL enlarger, a few lenses, Jobo tanks, stacks of paper, etc -- for $50 at a yard sale. And it was because I told the seller that I'm always looking for photo equipment. Whenever I go to yard sales I always mention this, even if I don't see anything. On more than one occasion, the seller will respond, "Oh yeah, I got an old camera in the house . . ." and so it goes. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not. But it never hurts to ask.

with landscapes i think film wouldnt be bad, but honestly for sports and taking vacation snapshots, i could go through 300 images easily, that wouldnt be cheap.

although digital adds up

dslr-600-1600
a good computer-800-2000
photoshop-400-600
memory cards-100

with film i have a 200 dollar professional camera
8 dollar film and atleast 8 dollar developing for 36 exposures.

it will teach me to be conservative and look for the shot rather than rapid firing at everything.

In 2007 I was able to get B&W negs only from my local shop at $2.50 a roll. In 2008 the price jumped to $6.50. That was about $250.00 USD for the film I purchased. It cost me about $250 to get started processing at home, including the film, which I did in 2008. In 2009, that figure remained the same. However, I did not have to rebuy the gear so I was able to buy paper and chemistry and some printing gear (I already had the enlarger). So, in two years, I started processing my own negs and making my own prints for around $500.00. If I had kept going to my local shop that would have processed about 65 rolls of film and left me with negs only. Now I have prints to show for it too. And next year, it's only film, paper and some chemistry. I'm planning on about $150.00. That would be another 25 rolls of film, negs only. I will have prints as well.

So, to sum up, three years, $650.00.

100 rolls of film processed negs only. Or . . .
I have that and prints as well. Lots of them.

You do the math.

btw i finally got to use my camera today, i was shooting friends and random people doing bike stunts down the city. i noticed everytime i took a picture i went to look at the preview on the lcd screen lol. oops. i cant wait to get to see the pictures, it was kind of dark so it was iso 125 f/4 and about 1/60th. hopefully they werent blurry except for the actual bike movement.

.... i could go through 300 images easily, that wouldnt be cheap.
9 rolls of Arista Premium 100 36 exposures @ 2.09 =$18.81
2.25 liters Koday D-76 @ 6.10 / liter = $3.43
One gallon Dektol = $5.00
Other chemistry about $5.00
300 sheets Ilford 7x5 paper = $85

Total = $117.24

Per frame = $0.39

Worth every penny. :D

COLOR?

12 rolls Fuji film 24 exposure @ $2.50 = $30
Process and scan at Target @ $3 each = $36
Ink and paper to print 300 frames = $100 (wild guess)

Total $176

Per frame = 0.59

Still worth every penny. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back