Developing Very Old Film

old-film-question

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When our grandmother died in the 1980s, my brother photographed every room in her home.

He found the film rolls in a drawer, undeveloped. He used a twin-lens reflex camera, black-and-white film.

They are probably gone, but we're willing to pay a custom lab more to give them extra-special care. Even faded images would be valuable. Any advice?

Ask your lab to show you some examples of old film that they have processed.

Last edited:
As long as there is no issue with light fogging, chances are they'll be fine and develop nicely. If there's a custom lab in your area, just bring them, and explain the situation. Alternatively, if there isn't look for a local camera club. There is almost certainly at least one member who is a B&W expert and willing to do this for a small fee.

If it's B&W film it might be fine, I got some film out of a family camera that turned out to have pictures of some of my relatives when they were kids (that was in that camera a long time! lol). Color film can shift and the color can be wonky but B&W lasts often indefinitely, depends on how/where it was stored (still in the camera OK unless it was in a hot attic for years) but often some adjustment and restoration can be done.

If it's important you might want to look up Film Recue International, that's what they specialize in. But I agree a good photo lab (probably not the drug or discount store kind) may be able to develop it, and many labs now do mail order.

If there's more than one roll, you can develop one and see how it comes out. That will help in how to adjust development for the other rolls.

If there's more than one roll, you can develop one and see how it comes out. That will help in how to adjust development for the other rolls.

I've heard that a really good way to develop old film is stand developing.

I've heard that a really good way to develop old film is stand developing.

Maybe........ if one is willing to possibly sacrifice enough old rolls to characterize how best to do so. However, if the OP would list what kind of film it is, perhaps we could narrow down the suggestions.

I agree about the stand developing. It can help bring back some of the contrast that is lost when the film is old.

Has the OP ever developed film? If not I probably wouldn't start out with something like this but get it to a pro lab.

Send it to me. If it is 120 film, there will be more problems due to possible transfer of pigment from backing paper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back