Developing

columbus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I'm pretty new to film and I'm a little put off by the cost of making prints since most of my pictures suck. I really have no idea of how film is developed and I would like to save some money on processing/developing/prints (could someone please explain the difference between these terms to me?)

Anyway, from what I understand, b&w film is easier to develop. I'm a little curious as to how much money can be saved by doing developing myself. How much do you think a basic setup would cost/ what exactly do I need?

The big costs are the workspace and a scanner ($300-1500)

One Time Cost
$20 Premium Double Reel Developing Tank with two reels (2 35mm or 1 roll) $20
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=1603&pid=4733

$20 Changing Bag 27 in. x 30 in (IMO requited)
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=1507

$11 Film Retreiver (not requited nice to have)
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=1603&pid=1461

$10 Graduated Cylinder 1000ml (more that one helpful)
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=1454

$3 Graduated Cylinder 50ml (not requited nice to have for mixing liquid chemicals)
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=1456

$3 5 Liter or 1 gal Storage Bottle (1 to 4 depending on how you mix and store your chemicals)
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=1603&pid=1560

Chemicals - Lots of option, but in general the required chemicals cost about $5-15 to make 1gal/5liters of each, the tank I list above use 650cc for 2 roll of 35mm

Developer (requited)
Stop bath (requited)
Fixers (requited)
Hypo Clearing Agents
Wetting Agents

go to ilford's website and they have a series of pdf files that will list all the chemicals, and equipment needed.

the inital out put will cost between 25-50 dollars, depending on what is available on ebay or what you can put together in terms of equipment. the chemistry willl run about the same; however, you will be able to regroup that cost in a short time if you develop film on a regular bases.

In my area to develop a roll of black and white 35mm film runs between 5-10 dollars. to do it yourself , pennies.

developing the negatives are easy.

then you will need to determine if your going to scan the negatives and print them out , or set up a darkroom and print them out in the traditional manner.

Setting up a darkroom can run from a few dollars to 100's, again depending on your location and what the market has available. some equipment is being given away, or sold for very little.

leaning to print takes time , engery; and money. If you only want to save money this is probably not the way to go, as one has to really love the process to become a good printer.

developing color is not difficult but a bit more tricky than black and white, especially with regard to temperture control.

I would recommend developing and scanning; then if you want to set up the darkroom and print. I have had pretty good results scanning (3200 dpi) and printing from the scan.

Ok, I'm pretty new to film and I'm a little put off by the cost of making prints since most of my pictures suck. I really have no idea of how film is developed and I would like to save some money on processing/developing/prints (could someone please explain the difference between these terms to me?)

Anyway, from what I understand, b&w film is easier to develop. I'm a little curious as to how much money can be saved by doing developing myself. How much do you think a basic setup would cost/ what exactly do I need?
Unless you do a lot of shooting, developing your own film isn't going to save you anything, but will cost you much of your time instead. But if you want, and you think you would enjoy the sometimes tedious work, you can get whole outfits pretty cheap on Ebay these days.

I firmly disagree that your own developing won't save you any money. I shoot Fomapan films almost exclusively because I find the quality to be excellent and the price even better. Refrigerate your chemicals and film if you don't do a lot of shooting, and don't mix up huge solutions of your chemistry. If you have a friend or two into photo, split your chemical costs and share your tank/changing bag/graduates.

Bulk rolling Fomapan films I think I once calculated it to cost 6 cents per shot developed before printing. That might be wrong but it's pretty close to that using all Foma film and chemistry.

An enlarger is a whole different ball park, but I would say keep looking at your local Goodwill and second hand stores. Ocasionally an old photographer will die and you can get some good old equipment for pretty cheap. Found one at the local goodwill about a year ago for 30 bucks. I didn't have the cash at the time, but a buddy of mine snapped it up so I get to use it from time to time. It's a decent little enlarger, but you need to figure out where you are going to make your darkroom in your house or garage.

Keep an eye on your local craigslist (if your in the US). I was able to pickup tanks, trays, easel, enlarger, 2 Nikon enlarging lenses, safelights, film loaders, books and manuals, vc filters, everything I needed and more for $100. I find similar deals consistently.

... processing/developing/prints (could someone please explain the difference between these terms to me?)

"processing" means treating with chemicals to bring out the image on film or
paper or other media.

"developing" usually means the same as processing but it can also refer to
the first step of processing where the film or paper is treated with a chemical
called a developer (followed by other chemicals in the process)

"Prints" refers to photographic images on paper made in a darkroom or
specialized machine or it can also mean digital photos printed out via a
computer printer.

Hi, Columbus. I just started developing my own black and white a month ago. It's easier'n Hades to do and I don't know why I didn't start sooner. If I were to buy my film for the year and have my local lab process negs and print photos for me it would have cost around $900.00 (up 200% over last year, processing prices went stupid in the fall). I got 60 rolls of film, enough chems and gear to get going for around $353.00 from B&H Photo and various other sources for a piece here or there (amazing how many things I have in my auto parts store that make developing film easier).

so what's the normal thing to do after you develop the negs? would it really be worth it to develop negs and get them printed by someone? I know you can scan them yourself, but I don't have the $$ for an acceptable scanner at the moment

the normal thing for many is to make your own prints, but that means a darkroom and experience. If you want to save money this is not the place to go as there is a learning curve which cost. People who do traditional darkroom work usually do it becasue they love the process.

another option would be to scan them and print them out your self, and yet this is another costly option

having someone else print them may be cost effective, it may not.
Will you take them to the local 1 hour photo place and have them print just the ones's you want, or find a custom printer who will be more expensive and perhaps harder to find. that will depend on your location.

developing negatives is very easy and not expensive after you have invested the necessary equipment, which these days on ebay is not costly.

leaning to print is a different story.
It isn't that hard, but it is intense and takes time to learn to do it well.

is there a jr. college or some other school to take a class? that would be a could option as you could go into the darkroom and learn to print using your negatives and have the input .

I have a small light table and a 8x magnification loupe and go through the negs. If I see one that I know that I wanted to print no matter what or else just one the grabs my attention (contrast, detail et al) then I take tose negs to my local lab and have them printed. 4x6 to start and then go back with specific instructions if I want something done differently (dodge here, burn there). That is, until I get my gear to print sometime in the not to distant future.

Most reactions

Back