DevianArt

That's part of what I see is a problem with deviantart.com. Other than those who use it, it's puzzling. Especially to anyone stumbling across it. Not many prints get sold from there except to other members.

jstuedle said:
That's part of what I see is a problem with deviantart.com. Other than those who use it, it's puzzling. Especially to anyone stumbling across it. Not many prints get sold from there except to other members.

Nothing wrong with selling prints to other members. Even with 2 photographers in our house, Malachite and I have bought several prints from other photographers right here on TPF to hang in our home. Money for prints is money for prints... no matter who the buyer is. :mrgreen:

photogoddess said:
Nothing wrong with selling prints to other members. Even with 2 photographers in our house, Malachite and I have bought several prints from other photographers right here on TPF to hang in our home. Money for prints is money for prints... no matter who the buyer is. :mrgreen:

But it keeps the whole thing very insular, which is what I think john meant.

It's no more insular than the average small art gallery selling original paintings.
Insularity is the favourite human condition - which is why Advertising was invented.
If you want people to see your work you either have to get out there and push it yourself or pay someone else to do it for you. You won't get it for free.

I used to be pretty active at DA. While there were a number of good photographers showing work there, I think the general audience is very young. With no limits at all on submissions, the system is inundated with snapshots and pencil anime drawings (often on lined paper.) Most people were friendly there but it was quite easy to get into useless conflicts with 'attitudes.' The forums were useless as the average 'artist' there was mostly unfamiliar with the world of photography. A few months ago there was a power coup and one of the key originators of the site was stripped of his power. Since then the site seems to be taking on more of a commercial interest. Back a few years ago it was really an exciting place for mostly amateur photographers.

ive always been abit confused by DA myself. Could never find any explaination of what it's function was on the site

FlightShadow said:
Hi all -

I've seen a lot of DeviantArt stuff here - but I don't quite get the full jist of what it is.

Could you *smart* people explain it to me?

here's my understanding. i think it is a collective art community where you can showcase your work and get critique and help (most times anyway). also if you subscribe you can sell prints of your work there as well.

i think it's a good idead but if you don't advertise your page to people enough it can be hard to get critique and help. for that purpose i prefer TPF. but deviantart can be a fun way to show off work to friends and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back