Devil's Tower, WY and night shots, needing info please.

Ick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsimagery.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Planning a trip to Devil's Tower, and would like to get some star trail shots. I would really like to park somewhere kinda close, and just stay in the truck for the night. Is there anywhere close by that would work for this scenario? I have never been in the area.

I know there are some campgrounds close by, but I'm worried about the light pollution that would be present.

Thanks,

Eric

There is a trail which goes all the way around the parameter. If you want something that close, you should find something close by. Dusk in billings, mt, which isn't too much further north, starts around 8:30 and the sun completely sets into darkness around 10pm.

Further away, you may want to check with the BLM for access to public lands nearby. The closest field office is probably Gillette, Wy. There should be lots of places you could go. Light pollution in general in rural Wyoming is not much of a concern even at a campsite you should be able to find some place that will work if all else fails. Contacting park officials by e-mail is also very useful if you have a few days to wait on a reply.

If you are passing through to/from yellowstone, check the public land around Lovell, WY and bighorn canyon NRA for excellent high desert opportunities, including wild horses. There is a LOT of great stuff in the bighorn basin if you're willing to look for it, and is well worth the trip IMO.

Thanks for the reply, I'm coming from Colorado, so I will have a few opportunities to explore new areas along the way.

If you have a high clearance, check out ponderosa park. On Casper MT, I drove there in a Volvo 940, it's possible, but difficult. Otherwise, check out Crimson Dawn Park, also on Casper Mountain. While I haven't been there, google Ferris Dunes, also in Wyoming. It is extremely isolated, however, and a truck or ATV would be essential, less you hike in some 15 miles, but the photos I've seen of the dune field are spectacular. The BLM runs a nice campground on Muddy Mountain just beyond Casper Mountain, the valley between the two is very beautiful rangeland with red soil speckled with mature juniper growth and has good public access.

Seminoe Pass via Magical Mile is an excellent detour, and Seminoe Reservoir itself offers some unique opportunities. Fremont Canyon and Alcova are good if you want to stay close to the highway. Both are accessible with 2WD and located in South Central WY, between Casper and Rawlings.

Beartooth Pass in northern WY, southern, MT is also an excellent choice if you have an extra day, IMO the area is better than Yellowstone itself. Lots of opportunities in the sun valley and the pass itself travels well above treeline. you'll end up in the charmingly unpretentious village of red lodge, MT. Outside red lodge there is also the Silver Run trail, a good medium difficulty trail which leads to a couple high altitude lakes. Keep in mind though there is still a lot of snow in the mountains here.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info, I will definitely research everything you suggested. Thanks Again!

Most reactions

Back