Diana F+ a LOT of questions, newbie

maplecookie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a Diana F+, not a vintage Diana btw, and am wondering if there is anything I need to know. I started looking at Diana cams probably six months ago at least, and just fell in love with the possibilities. I'm not expecting perfection, but I just have to try photography with this camera!

Are there specific flaws that I should be on the lookout for so I can avoid them?

What are some of the better places to get film developed? I've heard mixed reviews about standard places like Walmart and Ritz. Do you have any favorites?

I have just about every extra piece you could want for this camera except the flash. I haven't purchased that yet, but will. I've purchased Lomography Color Negative 800 35mm film, so the speed should help with the lack of flash right? I don't know much about film, I'm reading a ton and trying to learn.

I also purchased:
Lomography X-Pro Chrome 100 35mm
Lomography Color Negative 400 120
Lomography B&W 100 120
Lomography Redscale 100 35mm

I wanted a variety of film to start with, and through the lomography store, with coupons and discounts I ended up with around 34 dollars off my purchase, so this was totally worth the price (each has three packs of film).

Also, I was checking out online places to send film to for developing, but I don't understand all of the language. Someone suggested I check out Dwayne Photo, but I noticed this on their services and don't understand...
"Want your 35mm film developed without any prints?
Process film only - no prints $3.99 per roll"

What in the world do you get if you choose that option? Aren't prints the 4x5 or whatever photos you receive back? Why would you choose process film only? How does that work and what do you receive back?

I'm really really excited and can't wait to get everything!! (Just ordered it all, it's shipping today!!!) Thank you for your help!!!!

Hi. You're excited about your camera. That's cool

Prints are ..yea..photos. Hold-in-the-hand pictures. The no prints option i assume is negs only. Maybe you can request (pay) for a CD of low-res scans so you can share online.

Maybe shoot the roll of 400 first of all. See how that comes out.

I've been wanting this camera for so long it seems like! I think I've driven my family and husband crazy talking about, sending links and pictures! lol I'm pretty sure it's why my husband budgeted for the cam finally and told me to go for it. Now though, I'm gonna torture them all by sending everyone photos then calling immediately and asking for opinions!

I just didn't get why someone might choose that option. I want prints, but I also want to make sure I don't miss something on these order forms that would give me better options.

no prints means that, you would just get the negatives back and if you have a scanner then you could scan them and use a photo editing program .

Prints come in various sizes, usually the standard size is going to be4x6 however, if you find that you have something that you really love you could take that negative to a local shop and have any size made you wish. On the back of t he print should be a series of numbers which are a code, listing time date and exposure number so you can take the negative in say to Walmart (which amasingly in some places make great prints) and tell them what number to print.

Have fun.

I see! What type of scanner do you need to scan negatives? Does any scanner do that? I can't imagine it does, but it never hurts to ask

I've watched a load of videos on using the Diana, making sure I'm setting it to the correct settings, and other general things. I'm trying not to make the basic mistakes that will lead me to my film being totally white or black. Other mistakes...well I'm sure I'll make them at least once, lol.

I'm really looking forward to this!

You need a scanner that can accept negs in a special tray. Various on the market. Some cheapo and some top-notch.

I've never used a Diana, but I have used the Holga. Best tip I can offer is to only shoot with it if you can see your shadow. Double exposures are a lot of fun. I know Wally World doesn't process 120. I have a lab a few miles from me that does, c-41 and e-6. I get process only and scan my own. I find I have more control over the final piece. Epson has a good line of pro-sumer scanners that do 4x5, 6x9, 35mm film and slides. Have fun, I know I did the first time I picked up a toy camera, especially with some expired film.
holga_me.jpg

(I know, I posted this image in another thread)

I shoot Holga. I send out film through Wal*Mart and they send it out to Fuji in NC. takes like a week and a half.

Don't buy lomography film. Buy in bulk on eBay and save money. I heard that lomography black and white is just Shanghai GP3 repackaged and marked up. Don't be fooled.

I do have the adapter for 35mm. In fact, I have it on now.

Can someone tell me if I can switch lenses multiple times with one roll of film? I'm trying to figure out what will and won't mess up the film. Let's see...um....I think that is it so far. I am 100% sure that I'll have a TON of more questions when I get my first couple of practice rolls back.

Yeah, you should be able to. The shutter mechanism is behind the lens anyway and kinda stands on its own. You could leave the lens off and do pinhole.

Hmmm, so I messed up my first role of film. I thought it was jammed, but now I'm wondering if it was at the end of the roll. I may have done something wrong with the forwarding the film...because when I put the second roll in, somehow I ended up with my counter saying 6. I just bought some film from walmart so I could just test it out and try it. They only had 800 iso in stock, so that is what I'm using right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back