Did i buy the wrong lens!?

matthias0911

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
wanting to get into astrophotography i did my research and found out the samyang 10mm f 2.8 would be a pretty good lens for my maybe not so good camera, nikon d3300. However it seems i somehow bought the "cine" version of the lens. which has a T number of 3.1 instead of an F number of 2.8.

I am really conflicted whether or not i should send it back and buy the other version, the weird thing is that the "cine" version i bought was 80 euros cheaper than the other one. Are there any problems using a cine lens for photography? And does the T number of 3.1 work as well as an f 2.8 when doing night photography? The 2 lenses have pretty much the same weight and measures, so is it basically just the same lens?
I know the cine lens has an aperture ring with no stops, but i dont know if it is different in any other ways.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

So to the best of my knowledge there is not difference in build, quality...etc. The reason the cine lenes is marked as T 3.1 and the photo lense is F2.8 is because F stop is the measurement of the opening of the lens; T stop on the other hand is the measurement of how much light passes through aforementioned opening and actually makes it to the sensor.

So this means both lenses are going to have a measurement opening for F2.8, but the cine lens just states the true amount of light that after passing though all the glass hits the sensor.

For more info check out this article, Your Lens’ Aperture Might Be Lying to You, Or: The Difference Between F Stops and T Stops

So to the best of my knowledge there is not difference in build, quality...etc. The reason the cine lenes is marked as T 3.1 and the photo lense is F2.8 is because F stop is the measurement of the opening of the lens; T stop on the other hand is the measurement of how much light passes through aforementioned opening and actually makes it to the sensor.

So this means both lenses are going to have a measurement opening for F2.8, but the cine lens just states the true amount of light that after passing though all the glass hits the sensor.

For more info check out this article, Your Lens’ Aperture Might Be Lying to You, Or: The Difference Between F Stops and T Stops

Thanks alot for your answer. Still seems a abit weird to me that the cine lens was cheaper, but i probably shouldnt send it back if its basically the same lens. the cine lens is like 30 grams heavier, but thats no big deal. The fact that the cine lens aperture ring has no stops is probably fine aswell.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back