Did I buy the wrong tripod?

CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a newbie to photography. I bought this...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-785SHB-Modo-Photo-Video-Tripod/dp/B000FABL7Q/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236030640&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Manfrotto 785SHB Modo Mini Photo-Video Grip Head Tripod: Electronics[/ame]

But I don't think it's meant to accomdate a DSLR. The camera fits on it fine and it seems to fit ok, but I just took it out of the box. It's very sturdy still. Will this be ok? Or should I return it and get one that can support more weight?

A sturdy tripod can make a world of a difference. For instance, if it is not that strong and isnt recommended for use with a larger camera, pressing the shutter release could give it a little bit of a shake, thus giving you a blurry photo. Or an uneven piece of the ground could cause it to be a little bit wobboly. Or wind!

Manfroto tripods are like gorillas. They can handle their own, but if you have a D-SLR that fetches over $1000 for the body or even higher than that, its a worth while investment to get a sturdy tripod to protect your main investment.

but if you have a D-SLR that fetches over $1000 for the body or even higher than that, its a worth while investment to get a sturdy tripod to protect your main investment.

it's just the Rebel XS. $500 camera. i'm just starting out with all beginner equpiment. i'll start spending the big bucks if i really get into it, like i think i am.

Yea I didnt read the obvious part that said what camera you have in your signature. But I was just offering my philosophy.

I have that tripod but I'm planning to get a better one. This one is pretty good. I don't get the maximum weight thing. Will it collapse or something? lol One tip, don't use it in very windy conditions next to water. Almost lost my camera like that. lol

I have that tripod but I'm planning to get a better one. This one is pretty good. I don't get the maximum weight thing. Will it collapse or something? lol One tip, don't use it in very windy conditions next to water. Almost lost my camera like that. lol

My guess would be if you were to try and put a camera at an angle and hold it there if it were over the max weight it may not hold the angle you desire.

It can't hold my D90 and 70-200. It will collapse, sink or tip over. That is why I am getting a new gitzo.

The main thing will be things like the strength of the controls for the pan/tilt etc.

These are important for long exposures and to prevent the camera moving when you depress the shutter ( although a remote release handles the latter) especially when you have a long lens.

Longer lenses will have a greater tendancy to cause the 'aim' to drift down.

to prevent pushing the button from affecting it, couldnt u just put it on a 2 second timer delay?

Yes BUT if your being accurate with the composition, especially with a long lens, you might move the camera off target and ruin the composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back