Did I catch the mood? (Warning: 360 Kb!)

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've shot & reshot this scene at least a half-dozen times now, and I think I may finally cracked it. I am trying catch the dawn 'mood'. Any thoughts on the exposure, colouration? Suggestions for improvement?

Sailboat.jpg

My very high resolution screen shows even big photos in one, but his one is so large that even I have to scroll to see it from top to bottom and from left to right ... what will others see who have lower resolution screens, I wonder!?!?!? So please, resize your photo and the response will be there.

For from what I can see, you DID catch the atmosphere.
It has a lot of atmosphere. The hazy morning light, the serenity of the lone boat, the reflections, the general calmness, it is all there.

But not for many to see, unless you resize. Please do. The photo is worth to be enjoyed by all!

^^Agreed. Even on my 21", 1600x1200 is the highest I can go. Your image is sized well beyond that. Out of consideration, please resize.

Technically speaking, it's a very nice picture.. you've captured the boat's reflection very well. I believe some levels and contrast adjustment would add a little more depth, especially given the "gradient effect" of the forrest/hills&sky in the background. Also, a wider, more panoramic shot might work better as the focus won't be so much on the boat, but the scene in general. Just my $0.02..

looks like it could be great photo. again, it needs to be resized so we can see it all at once. I agree with daniel, it may need some post processing to make it that much better, but it's hard to tell without being able to see the whole thing...

HUGELY embarrassed here folks. I accidentally linked to the hi-res version (I should have known when I saw the 360Kb file size), and I am unable to access TPF from work so I couldn't rectify the problem until just now! I appreciate the paitience of all!

Croesus said:
Technically speaking, it's a very nice picture.. you've captured the boat's reflection very well. I believe some levels and contrast adjustment would add a little more depth, especially given the "gradient effect" of the forrest/hills&sky in the background. Also, a wider, more panoramic shot might work better as the focus won't be so much on the boat, but the scene in general. Just my $0.02..

Thanks, I am going to play with it a little more to 'tweak' it... Unfortunatley, there's nothing more to be done on the pano side. On the left you can just see the tip of a large hill that wraps around, and on the right is a rather industrial jetty.

Here's a slightly more "correctly" exposed version, but I'm not sure that I like it as much. Comparison?

Sailboat_ver2.jpg

I thinka half way in between woudl be perfect, at least for me. I like the look in the first where it looks hazy and early morning/dusk, but then in the second I like the details and colour you can see on the boat. I think you captured a very special image here

Peanuts said:
I thinka half way in between woudl be perfect,

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The first could be a little lighter, but this is too light... time to fire up PSP....

Okay... this is a more 'tweaked' version. Sharpened (slightly) noise-removal and an overall lightening of the pic...

Sailboat_Ver3.jpg

tirediron said:
Okay... this is a more 'tweaked' version. Sharpened (slightly) noise-removal and an overall lightening of the pic...
Much better........the faint orange/red going on in the first set was just screaming to be saturated a tad. I goofed around with your pic for a bit and sepia worked really well too. Very good "mood" pic ;)

Most reactions

Back