Did I just witness the end of film cameras and film?

I can assure you people can't meter but again, people simply want to argue with no basis behind their argument.

You people can't meter? In what way?

Ok, back in the early 90's I printed amateur and professional films. Consumer stuff downstairs, professional stuff upstairs. I was a qualified A Grade printer back then.
Now, be it average every day Joe/Jane that walks in with his/her compact or the serious amateur photographer, easily 80-90% of these negs were underexposed. There were a few regulars that came in that created beautifully exposed film. I learned their names fast and it was always a pleasure to see them come in through the door. This was back in the day when multi segment metering was not really around, most people were using center weighted cameras if they were serious amateurs. Pros of course were a completely different story regarding exposure.
The other thing of interest that surprised me back then, around the same percentage were photos of naked males v naked females. Maybe 10-15% were naked females. I've seen every size and shape of the male anatomy on planet Earth! Women aren't as innocent as people think! lol

Ok, back in the early 90's I printed amateur and professional films. Consumer stuff downstairs, professional stuff upstairs. I was a qualified A Grade printer back then.
Now, be it average every day Joe/Jane that walks in with his/her compact or the serious amateur photographer, easily 80-90% these negs were underexposed. There were a few regulars that came in that created beautifully exposed film. I learned their names fast and it was always a pleasure to see them come in through the door. This was back in the day when multi segment metering was not really around, most people were using center weighted cameras if they were serious amateurs. Pros of course were a completely different story regarding exposure.
The other thing of interest that surprised me back then, around the same percentage where photos of naked males v naked females. Maybe 10-15% were naked females. I've seen every size and shape of the male anatomy on planet Earth! Women aren't as innocent as people think! lol

What does all that have anything to do with making an assumption that you people can't meter? Who are the "you people" that you're referring to?

Keep it civil. Seriously. I asked you once already.

Just to clarify a point as it was removed from elsewhere. I made a comment to Vtec44:

"I can assure you people can't meter but again, people simply want to argue with no basis behind their argument."

It was a general comment that was intended in this way. The "you" referred to Vtec44, not the people of this forum. I was assuring "Vtec44" that I know people generally can't meter. It was intended to be read as "I assure you" and not "You people."
I was not implying anyone on this forum specifically can't meter. Hope that clears it up.

Please do not make any more replies and send them in my direction. This forum is not for me. All the best to all of you.

A comma would have clarified that nicely. I can assure you, people don’t use punctuation as often as they should.

OMG. Ok. I hope my posts give you guys a chuckle because yours certainly do give me a little chuckle! lol

Now, down to business:

No, I do not like cameras because they are shiny. I'd be a Canon user after they brought out all those pretty white lenses for the first time in the film days. I use the film cameras of my generation. I learned on manual advance film SLR's. Later on I moved on to my current gear. When I have spent ridiculous amounts of money on film gear that was current at the time, I'm not going to toss it out to buy a camera that was made 20 years earlier.

There are clearly quite a few hardcore traditionalists here. Posting on this forum brings me back to the 90's when I was trying to explain to Leica people why I am not buying a Leica and I am buying a Nikon. They could never understand. Truly bewildered staring at me like there was something wrong and I should see someone. lol
There are many people out there using LCD film cameras. They will eventually die. Cameras that is...errr...people too I guess but we are still talking about cameras. Not all film users are even capable of any kind of accurate metering without a multi segment meter. I can tell you this through a great deal of experience. These types of film users still using film today WILL run off to digital when the LCD's go. No doubt whatsoever.
For those of us capable of metering with a hand held or simple center weighted or spot, there are many film camera options. The question is, how many of us capable of this are there??? Is it enough to continue producing film products for what might become an incredibly small group??? I used the word minuscule remember? Time will tell. I've made many accurate predictions in the past. Even on the hand held metering aspect, I use a Variosix F even today! It has a great big LCD panel too! Gonna have to find a simpler hand held meter!

I do honestly believe 35mm film of some description should remain available for the completion of my lifetime. I do hope so. Wouldn't say the same for other types of film.
Since my original post I have looked at what I already have in the way of gear and likely have enough to see me through. My F5 would be my prime film body and this is a mint condition camera I specifically preserved virtually from new. The LCD is fading, I know this but it's only beginning. Many others LCD's are likely fading too but people haven't really noticed it yet as it's ever so slight. My LCD may work for another decade! I'll have to have a good look but I think as long as the viewfinder information works the camera will be totally usable without either of the 2 LCD's working. Only issue is setting film speed which is not possible via the viewfinder or anywhere else except the rear LCD. I can set this via Photo Secretary with the F5 plugged into a PC or laptop. So I'll likely be fine.
I sunny 16 the majority of my stuff. Use a meter on rare occasion. Working pretty good for me. I've got pretty good results. As far as Leica film camera, pretty hard to beat their glass.

A comma would have clarified that nicely. I can assure you, people don’t use punctuation as often as they should.

Preach.
50D71658-9134-4957-9AA2-F17431090C65.jpeg

By, the, way ... does, anyone, have, a, spare, Lumigrid, for, my, Sekonic, L-328, light, meter ?

SquarePeg said:

Yes, punctuation can make a huge difference in the meaning of even the most simple sentences. Two examples that stress the importance of a comma immediately spring to mind, with the first example being the classic, "I'm hungry! Let's eat Grandma." The better-punctuated sentence would read, "I'm hungry! Let's eat, Grandma." The second example demonstrating the importance of a comma is, "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse," and the more commonly-needed sentence being, "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse."

I was going to post this in my other thread and started typing but then thought it really is a topic of it's own. Quoted is the last post made by another member in the thread I was going to respond too before I thought a new thread may be required.

And good luck with this. Shoot film and do not overthink it. Whatever you gonna created it is only for your personal happiness. Same with any digital shooters. No other consequences at all.

Thanks but you know what, I may just pack the F5 away and retire it along with film. I notice the LCD is beginning to fade, still totally fine for use but it ain't what it was, I have a good memory. Kinda disappointing as a silly little LCD is going to bring this great camera down. Same with any other camera with a LCD, it's just a matter of time. I was going to shoot film long term (along with digital) buy a film scanner, I currently have a no longer working Nikon LS2000 but as I can see the end of the line for the camera doesn't seem much point. I have 2 other film bodies with LCD's and of course they will suffer the same fate, if they are not already there, haven't tried them. All my bodies will die due to silly LCD's. Everyone's camera bodies will die in time so maybe best to just live in the moment and use what is current and new? Eventually today's cameras will die as well, all have LCD's so why not use them like mad while they still function 100%?

No matter how much people wish to continue using film, I believe I can now see the end of the line for it. A large chunk of film users will have film bodies with LCD's. Once these cameras die, you would think most film users won't bother with the effort to try and keep going with film and will simply move to full time digital. The limited market that is there for film even now will become totally minuscule. Surely won't be viable for anyone to produce film related products any longer???

Any thoughts? I know the last few days I've gone on a roller-coaster ride from great excitement about film again to mass depression! lol

How about some company start producing some LCD's please??? Pretty please!
There is something inconsistent with you. I think you just like to shoot nice, shiny, fully automatic cameras. Doesn't matter film or digital. I am puzzled now, what was about your previous discussion film versus digital.

YES, film will survive, electronic film cameras will not [unless you are an electronic engeer]. Nikon F (below F3) can be repaired or maintained. the best color film was Fugi, and Kodac tri x pan was good. cheers, vin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back