Did I just witness the end of film cameras and film?

My oldest camera is still capable of producing photographs even at nearly 80 years old.
Even if they stop producing film I would be able to use my 5x4 camera to produce analogue photographs using homemade materials. It might take a lot of effort but I know I can do it. Being a chemist I could probably create my own film as well - though I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as the mass produced stuff.

I have used a 10 year old digital camera, but I rather doubt any digital camera will still be working by the time it's as old as my box brownie.

Film is actually making a comeback despite the advantages of digital, because people like using it.

My oldest camera is still capable of producing photographs even at nearly 80 years old.
Even if they stop producing film I would be able to use my 5x4 camera to produce analogue photographs using homemade materials. It might take a lot of effort but I know I can do it. Being a chemist I could probably create my own film as well - though I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as the mass produced stuff.

I have used a 10 year old digital camera, but I rather doubt any digital camera will still be working by the time it's as old as my box brownie.

Film is actually making a comeback despite the advantages of digital, because people like using it.
you can buy film for your camera. the formula for sensitive layer on a glass plate as used by A.Adams is available. one of the ingredients is "egg whites". vin

I dunno. Film still has that cult following. While the end is approaching, it's still got a cult following (yes, I said we are all members of a cult). That cult following will eventually die off (literally), leaving our next generation, generation NOW, to abandon it or relegate it to special hobbyist only use. That's my theory.

Sent from my [device_name] using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I dunno. Film still has that cult following. While the end is approaching, it's still got a cult following (yes, I said we are all members of a cult). That cult following will eventually die off (literally), leaving our next generation, generation NOW, to abandon it or relegate it to special hobbyist only use. That's my theory.

I'm not so sure. I was recently told that younger people are really interested in analog photography. As a result, sales of analog equipment, film, and related sundries are rising. The brick and mortar stores that are poo pooing this, telling the customer that film is dead, are throwing away thousands of potential revenue. This brick & mortar store tracks revenue the best they can. Film related revenue is in the tens of thousands, additional. He also claims that he regularly gets new customers from the other brick & mortar store that poo poos film. He said he generates profit from film, used equipment, papers, chemicals, and printing services. He claims that film has rejuvenated his business. It is providing additional revenue and service offerings that significantly adds to profit.

I'm not so sure. I was recently told that younger people are really interested in analog photography. As a result, sales of analog equipment, film, and related sundries are rising. The brick and mortar stores that are poo pooing this, telling the customer that film is dead, are throwing away thousands of potential revenue. This brick & mortar store tracks revenue the best they can. Film related revenue is in the tens of thousands, additional. He also claims that he regularly gets new customers from the other brick & mortar store that poo poos film. He said he generates profit from film, used equipment, papers, chemicals, and printing services. He claims that film has rejuvenated his business. It is providing additional revenue and service offerings that significantly adds to profit.

He's lucky. The film tide went out and stayed there nearly a decade ago in many other places. For all the cheerleading about a "film" revival, I'm not seeing new labs or film supplies offered where they once were. What I do see are a couple of shops/labs doing well with film sales and processing that are known widely as "about the only places to go."

I'm not seeing piles of potential revenue being ignored; instead, I'm seeing 0ne or two shops catering profitably to a residual market that's stable but not expanding wildly.

My local camera store has a lab, but they SUCK at scanning and their chemicals never get changed. There's a lab local to me that's great, mainly does one time use cameras, but does a MUCH better job. Only problem is they are closing this spring. The owner still plans to keep his Noritsu operational though, and he and I happen to be good friends, so there's hope.

He's lucky. The film tide went out and stayed there nearly a decade ago in many other places. For all the cheerleading about a "film" revival, I'm not seeing new labs or film supplies offered where they once were. What I do see are a couple of shops/labs doing well with film sales and processing that are known widely as "about the only places to go."

I'm not seeing piles of potential revenue being ignored; instead, I'm seeing 0ne or two shops catering profitably to a residual market that's stable but not expanding wildly.

This is probably accurate as a whole. The stores I'm referring to are near college towns that teach film photography, so they probably benefit in markets like that. I don't use them for processing or scanning. I tried them with color film two times and they are real poor with the scan part. You could literally see the scan lines where was inching along.

We have a couple shops here in Austin. One, I do not like their attitude and vibe, One is willing to work with you one on one and go the extra mile in every sense and the other is fairly good, just depends on the kids working there. Due to location, I end up at the one that's fairly good and make due with their scans. If I could afford to send out my film to a full lab that scans and edits your work, I totally would. But I don't feel like my work is worth that much.

Here in St. Louis......
Our labs C-41 has picked up a bit but is stable as to the number of rolls coming in, about 75-100 rolls a week. Low count weeks are still around 30-40 but we have been running "Film Amnesty" discounts for multiple rolls.

Here is a chart of my personal BW labs roll count per month. Did pick up slightly last year. Those sections with ER were a special project so I included both normal roll count and with ER's added.
Click to enlarge.
vHPD3Ss.jpg

It's no longer a mass market but that doesn't mean it's dead. It's scaled back and niche.

I believe that we can excel in analog, to deliver an acceptable image. I believe that the analog image produces a better look. I believe that I am an idiot and I want to make whatever I want.

Your are probably correct; all of us oldies will die off just like the old cameras. Fuji, I have read, make a nice profit off their instant cameras though. So maybe there’s some sort of a future for film - an arty Lomo type future. I have bought half a dozen film cameras in the last 6 months and I am really enjoying the film experience. I will keep going for as long as I have a working film camera, film and a means of processing it.

Most reactions

Back