Did I make a mistake?

Not trying to pick a scab Derrel - just asking a couple of simple questions.

The answer is: It didn't fall apart on you. It didn't fall apart on me. It doesn't fall apart on a lot of people; Dare I say, MOST people - by FAR.

That doesn't in any way, shape or form even imply that I think it's in any way a top quality lens, and I'm not in any way trying to make a case that it is. Obviously, nobody would expect top quality from a hundred dollar lens - NEW. They don't get much cheaper than that.

But for folks to carry on like only a "fool" would buy and use one; To imply that only an idiot would buy and use one because it's likely to fall apart at the slightest bump, which is what we see a LOT when it comes up around here, is bullschitt at best. Worse, we usually see those descriptions and admonishments coming from folks who have ZERO ACTUAL experience with owning or using the lens, let alone having it fall apart on them (at the slightest provocation, no less).

For it's price point, and within its 5-blade $100 optical limitations, based on my ACTUAL ownership and use of the lens over the course of more than 4 years at this point, having noted in particular in the face of all the derision that surrounds it that it hasn't fallen apart or stopped working in any way, I recommend it to folks on a limited budget who want a prime lens in the 50mm range with an aperture wider than 2.8, and I don't call them "fools" or imply that they're idiots for buying or using it.

Obviously, YMMV.

If you buy a 50/1.8II used, you're a fool.

I bought mine used... guess I passed the idiot test...

I think the implication here isn't about the context of directly that lens. You're not getting a huge discount by skipping out on the warranty. Even if I get $25.00 off by buying used from craigslist. It's worth the additional $25.00 to have the warranty, I think is what Tyler is trying to say.

If you find a huge discount on a pro series lens... most professionals have their equipment insured. So, a warranty isn't always necessary. Meaning it is more logical for a pro to buy high end glass used from craigslist, than it is for a consumer to save $25.00 on a very inexpensive lens, and have to lose out on the warranty.

And this is a perfectly logical explanation however it is a downer on my sarcasm... :(

Thanks! I have been reading a lot lately, but it can all get jumbled together sometimes. While I'm teaching myself. Though I am using the resources in the beginner part of the forum. I am bummed I had to send my camera off to be cleaned this week.. So now I won't be able to shoot with the lens till it gets back in about two weeks.. :( but I will study up and have lots planned for it's arrival!
I take it you sent the camera in for a sensor clean. You should read up on how to clean it yourself as it will get dirty again. It's very easy and only takes only a few minutes.

A word of advice about your EF 50mm f/1.8II, don't use a collapsible lens hood on it.

Yes. I want to learn to clean it myself. Thanks for the tip! ;)

B&H or Adorama. ;-)

I paid $300 for my 50mm brand new just because my camera had to have the one with the "G" written on it after the aperture range :(

You know that you don't "have" to buy gelded lenses for your nikon... right? I use a 50 1.8D AF and 1.4D AF on a D90, D7000, and D300. I mean, sure - you can - but I like the optics on the older 50's anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back