Did you get or gift anything photography related for Christmas?

Got a manfrotto monopod. Think it was the only bit of photography kit I hadn't got!

oh, and a new rocket blower as my old one got crushed in a suitcase and ended up split.

Last edited:
Apart from the book I mentioned I also got some money, to which I will add a little of my own "pocket money" and buy myself an Instax square hybrid camera in the coming weeks.

Apart from the book I mentioned I also got some money, to which I will add a little of my own "pocket money" and buy myself an Instax square hybrid camera in the coming weeks.

The new Lomography instant that shoots squares? I've got one on the way :)

I forgot to mention the $175 Amazon gift cards. I blew it on TriX, Acros, and a 42" octagon soft box. Tired of the white umbrella throwing light everywhere. Oh I got some fixer checker too. $175 gone in 60 seconds.

Crazy how fast it goes. If you're happy with what you spent it on, it's all good. That's how I look at it.

I got a free $50 Adorama gc with my 23mm lens purchase. Thinking of using it toward the teleconverter.

Sounds like the teleconverter and 80mm macro is the best combo. Use the GC to your advantage and get the best deal possible.

A d7200 arrived yesterday. So far I've charged the batteries and viewed two tutorials. I'm moving up from a d5100, and am stunned by the number of controls and options available. It's going to be fun learning to use the camera. I feel like making this move commits me to improving my photography skills.

Nice. Looking forward to what you learn, and of course, the photos.

Neewer ring light flash. Using it for macro shots.

Getting 'red eye' with portraits further than 5 feet away

Let me know what you think of the ring flash. One of the reasons I never got one is because they don't diffuse as good as a flash with diffuser and you can't put anything on front of it to diffuse the light more. But if the Neewer works well I might pick one up since they are not too expensive.

Just picked up a 80mm crystal ball. Been thinking about it for a while. Thankfully there are a lot of Buddhist shops in my area that carry them.

DSC by A.C. Parsons on 500px.com

Nice. My nephew was just asking about these. Might make for a fun winter project.

Just picked one of these up myself. Let me know what you think of it. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but it seems to fire late. Using it as a light, it works well.

Just picked up a 80mm crystal ball. Been thinking about it for a while. Thankfully there are a lot of Buddhist shops in my area that carry them.

DSC by A.C. Parsons on 500px.com

Nice. My nephew was just asking about these. Might make for a fun winter project.

Just picked one of these up myself. Let me know what you think of it. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but it seems to fire late. Using it as a light, it works well.
Not having trouble with flash timing on my D610, but I am having trouble avoiding 'red eye' when shooting people.

This:instax SQUARE SQ10 | FUJIFILM

I have the first of the Instax Wide cameras (the blue one) and my daughter has a yellow Instax Mini 8. We love them but for me the square photos are where it's at with instant film. The problem till now has been that the film from Impossible is extremely expensive and very unreliable, especially the colour film.

This:instax SQUARE SQ10 | FUJIFILM

I have the first of the Instax Wide cameras (the blue one) and my daughter has a yellow Instax Mini 8. We love them but for me the square photos are where it's at with instant film. The problem till now has been that the film from Impossible is extremely expensive and very unreliable, especially the colour film.

I've got an Instax Wide as well. It can be a lot of fun. I do prefer squares, too, and I do really like the Impossible Project film (which, btw, has been essentially rebranded as Polaroid, develops faster, and is a tad cheaper.) It did take a while to figure out how to get the most out of it, though. For example, the frog tongue made a huge difference, and it seems I have to keep my SX-70 totally stopped down to avoid overexposing the film.

This is the Lomo camera that I got when it had its Kickstarter a few months ago: Lomo’Instant Square - White

Creative Live has a sale ending tonight. I purchased 2 classes on lighting. There is a free class on the Fundamentals of Photography viewing starting Jan 1st.

Got a 14mm/f2.8 Rokinon for Milky Way photography and a very nice and sturdy tripod head. Santa has been good...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back