Didn't realize that Memory Cards are as tough as they really are.

dennybeall

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.citrusphotorestore.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I left the 64gig memory card, with 80 beach pictures, in my shirt pocket and the shirt made it into the washing machine.
Dug around and found the plastic case and it had popped open and was empty. Not the carrying case but the actual card. Dug around in the bottom of the washer tub and found the innards of the card. Looks like a small piece of smooth black plastic with metal contacts.
Put it all back together, dried it off and popped it into computer.
Works perfectly. I was surprised...............now just have to glue it back together.

EDIT: and a touch of Superglue and it's all better.......

Last edited:
I bet the photo's are all washed out !!!!

:icon_geek:

There's a few stories on the innernets about cameras dropped into rivers and lakes and oceans, only to be found years later.... with the data on the card still intact.

I can see them holding up in water if the device is OFF when it gets wet. I think this card would not have made it through the dryer though??

I've put several USB memory sticks through the wash and dryer. They usually function for a while and then crap out quickly. Modern SD cards may hold up better than the armies of USB sticks i've drowned and torched.

Samsung boasts about how strong and weather resistant their memory card are, I have bought nothing else for the last few years and have had zero problems.

John.

4-proof Technology
Samsung memory cards, with 4-proof technology, are the ideal choice for people who want to capture their active lifestyles with an action camera. Insert a Samsung memory card in your action camera and you can be assured that every action-packed moment is safely recorded in whatever harsh environment you encounter, whether underwater, atop a mountain or deep inside a cave.

Waterproof
The Samsung EVO MicroSDHC Memory Card can survive up to 24 hours in sea water.

Temperature Proof
The Samsung EVO MicroSDHC Memory Card endures operating temperatures from -25 ºC ~~ 85 ºC.

Magnetic Proof
Resists more than 10,000 gauss, which is up to 13 times the magnetic force of standard home theater speakers.

X-ray Proof
Don't worry about taking your Samsung EVO MicroSDHC Memory Card through airport X-ray machines, as it protects data from damage.

This one is a Samsung. It's easy to see why they hold together. There is a plastic case and inside is a solid block of black plastic with the contacts imbedded in the plastic. You'd have to break it up or zap it with current to cause harm.

Now the question is: "Do you feel lucky?"

Do you -really- want to put some critical shots on that card and it gives up the ghost at just the wrong time?

In my opinion, I'd be happy to get the data off, then trash the card. My rule with computer gear (and memory), it has to work first time, every time, all the time. If not, fix it or replace it. To me, reliability supersedes fingers crossed every time.

The real question is not whether it works now but whether it will still be working in 3 month time when any moisture that did happen to get in has had time to corrode the internal circuit board.

Samsung boasts about how strong and weather resistant their memory card are, I have bought nothing else for the last few years and have had zero problems.

John.

4-proof Technology
Samsung memory cards, with 4-proof technology, are the ideal choice for people who want to capture their active lifestyles with an action camera. Insert a Samsung memory card in your action camera and you can be assured that every action-packed moment is safely recorded in whatever harsh environment you encounter, whether underwater, atop a mountain or deep inside a cave.

Waterproof
The Samsung EVO MicroSDHC Memory Card can survive up to 24 hours in sea water.

Temperature Proof
The Samsung EVO MicroSDHC Memory Card endures operating temperatures from -25 ºC ~~ 85 ºC.

Magnetic Proof
Resists more than 10,000 gauss, which is up to 13 times the magnetic force of standard home theater speakers.

X-ray Proof
Don't worry about taking your Samsung EVO MicroSDHC Memory Card through airport X-ray machines, as it protects data from damage.

I'm glad that you posted this. I bought the Samsung memory card because it was fast with the D7100 (no more big buffer issues), and was a reasonable price for the size (64 GB for 48 when I ordered). But now I know they are a durable card as well. I'm pretty sure I ordered the "pro" which is the white card and I have loved it. I also have a Samsung SSD in the desktop and it is quick as all get out.

Samsung is picking up their game!

This is the card I'm using right now.
Amazon.com: Samsung 64GB PRO Class 10 SDXC up to 90MB/s (MB-SG64D/AM): Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's awesome.

Last week, I was out in my (gravel and dirt) driveway loading up the trashcan to take it to the curb, when I looked down and saw something in the gravel. It was a memory card; one of my Extreme Pro cards! I knew I was missing one, but had just figured it was laying on a desk in the house somewhere. It was almost completely buried in the gravel and dirt, and from where it was in the driveway, I think it HAD to have been run over a time or two, or three. Plus, not only had it rained really hard the night before, I suspect this card had been out there for over a month. It had photos on it from mid-October and generally I transfer my photos within 24 hours to my hard drives, and then delete them from the card. These had not been transferred yet, so I'd guess I dropped it in the driveway (don't even ASK me how; I don't know!!) the same day they were taken.

I dried it off, stuck in the computer, and had no problems accessing the photos on it.

BUT, I also agree with what others have said about how LONG it will last. I'll definitely be replacing it; memory cards are just not that expensive, and it's not worth the experiment to me to find out how reliable this card is after a few months' time.

Let me quote my own post
" ... inside is a solid block of black plastic with the contacts imbedded in the plastic. You'd have to break it up or zap it with current to cause harm."
The electronic components are encapsulated so unless the contacts corrode away it could stay in the water for a very long time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back